Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I am trying to get a replacement ceramic hob, as the

I am trying to get a replacement ceramic hob, as the existing one installed 3 years ago has cracked. My problem is that in order to get the order accepted by Whirlpool they tell me (because the hob sits in the worktop above a kitchen cupboard unit) tat I must get a heat deflector to fit under the new hob. No-one at Whirlpool can tell me exactly what a heat deflector for this purpose should look like, be made of or where one might be purchased from. Can you point me in the right direction to be able to buy what is required to be fitted between the kitchen unit and the ceramic hob?
JA: Is your hob gas or electric?
Customer: Electric ceramic hob
JA: What have you tried so far with your hob?
Customer: Searching google for "heat deflector for ceramic hob" and asking Whirlpool agents directly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is a standard hob. Installed 3 years ago with the requisite clearance. At that time there was no mention of heat deflector.

What you need is called a hob separator plate.

It sits under the hob and just above the top drawer.

The idea of it is so you cannot touch the underside of the hob as when its on it can get hot.

So its just a sheet of metal that attches under the hob. You can buy one on Amazon.

Click here for it

Hope this helps. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There is not a drawer unit. It is an ordinary cupboard. The link you gave me goes to an Amazon product that is not available. Do you know anywhere else I can get one, as Whirlpool will not install a hob now without one.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry. The 60cm is available. It's the 80 cm no longer available. My guess is this sits on top of the cupboard unit.

Sorry wrong link. I ment to do the Ikea one itself.

Click here

Its still the same as the top drawer or full drawer. If its not over an oven most manufactores say you need to fit a seperator under the hob.

It will come with brackets so you just fit it on top of the unit but make sure theres enough room to drop the hob in.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks. I'll order one. If there is insufficient room we will have to remove the top panel and cut the unit down. All a pain to just replace a damaged hob, but I'm grateful that you have solved my immediate challenge.

Your very welcome.

Hopefully you will get sorted with this.

If you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.