Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

The handyman at our Porthcurno Museum has a Ryobi Pressure

Hello, the handyman at our Porthcurno Museum has a Ryobi Pressure Washer which he has owned for several years, but never used.
JA: Do you know the model of your Ryobi pressure washer?
Customer: Sorry, I hit Return too soon. The model is RPW120B and the problem is that the pressure sensor on the pump section does not actuate the microswitch, so power never gets to the motor. I cannot see how to undo the nylon nut to get at the pressure sensor.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Ryobi pressure washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know when he bought the washer, but he said he tried it out when it was new and then put it aside and didn't try to use it again until last Autumn..
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Sorry, I keep hitting return too soon. What I have done so far is to disassemble the washer and separate the pump from the motor. I then tried connecting the pump section to a water supply and the jet lance to pressurize the pump, but the cable from the microswitch always shows open circuit. However if I connect up the mains to the motor and substitute another switch where the microswitch should be connected, then the motor starts up with plenty of power.

I'd be tempted to install your substitute switch somewhere on the casing, and operate it manually. A new RPW120B is only about £90, so there's a limited amount of time and money you can spend on this old one before it starts to be a waste.

Hello, how are you getting on with your pressure washer?

Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
Hello, Sorry I took so long to get back to you. In the end I decided to replace the pump (£58 inc VAT and postage). The owner didn't want to spend any money on it, so now I can do it up and sell it to my neighbour as it is virtually brand new. The idea of a substitute switch wouldn't have worked as the pump has got jammed in the overpressure mode. The owner said that when he first got it, he switched it on, but with no water supply connected, which is when it must have gone into safety mode.