Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Smeg c92dx my wife was using and there was a bright

Customer Question

hello I have a Smeg c92dx my wife was using and there was a bright spark from the main oven. Now the main oven doesn't work and the ignitors for the hob also stopped,small oven still works tho. I have removed panel inside oven and element at the back has clearly blown just wondered if there's more than just the element gone and better getting a new range? thanks
JA: How old is your Smeg oven?
Customer: probably 7 years now
JA: How long has this been going on with your Smeg oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing just happened yesterday
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think the lower element may have also gone awhile ago as doesn't perform as it once did
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 6 months ago.

Hello, it does indeed sound like the element has failed. It's commonplace.

The igniters for the gas hob failing is more odd, but have you checked the MCB for the cooker circuit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no idea where the mcb is I'm guessing that's master control board?

Yes - more properly called the consumer unit. In the old days it was called a fuse box :-)

It should be near the electricity meter.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
small oven on range still works so definitely not the fuse box

OK. You'll have to do some dismantling to find out the cause of each fault. There might be a common cause, but it's pointless me speculating as it won't change the fact that you (or someone) will need to do the hands on work,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry, I was expecting to talk to someone who could advise if the element blowing could have damaged the ovens pcb and that's why the ignition had also failed. or if the element blowing had just removed a link in the power to the rest of the oven on that side

You wanted me to speculate? As I said, there's no value in that. That doesn't mean that I can't speculate, but decades of experience in appliance engineering has led me to understand how pointless it is, when the problem still needs to be investigated. I'm giving you the qualified advice that everybody gets on this site.

I do understand that you want to make a repair/replace decision, but you'll have to weigh up whether spending around £80 on a callout to an appliance engineer is worthwhile. I don't know how much your range has cost you during its 7 year lifetime, but if £80 is all it costs you then it has been cheap to maintain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just thought with your decades of experience, you would be able to give more than is the rcd tripped? I can do the speculation myself if the pcb and 2 elements are more than likely dead its time for a new one thanks for your time
I didn’t mention the RCD. You’d be surprised how often people don’t check the consumer unit.You asked it would be better to get a new range. Judging from the fact that you haven’t repaired a pre-existing fault, yes you’d definitely be better off not attempting the repair yourself. Your wife will be delighted to have a new one.