Gavin
Gavin, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Whitegoods Engineer
101089104

Visiting London from New Zealand. Apartment has a Smeg WDI

Customer Question

Visiting London from New Zealand. Apartment has a Smeg WDI 147S in it with no manual we are trying to use it but it continually stops the action with a pause sign. We managed to wash the clothes after hit & miss button pressing but now cannot dry them.
JA: Is your Smeg washer top or front loading? How old is it?
Customer: Front loading I have no idea.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Smeg washer?
Customer: I removed half of the washed clothes but still cannot get it to work for more than a couple of minuted then it comes up with a pause sign & stops
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just that I am desperate to get laundry done lol
Expert:  Gavin replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I’m Gavin and I can help you with the washer. I’ve attached a manual for you. If there is anything more specific you need please ask and I’ll be happy to help youThank YouGavinhttps://www.smeguk.com/smeg_uk/docs/manuals/19392010201-EN.pdf
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gavin, am tearing my hair out. Have read the manual directions & followed them but the machine works for a few minutes then pauses & beeps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I have already paid in NZ dollars which is twice the amount of British Pounds. So really don’t want to spend any more on a machine in an air b&b.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am unhappy that after paying the initial amount, this website is harassing me to get more answers by telephone to make more money. I am quite happy to get replies via messaging, so where are you now???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this a scam. If so I will post about it on the website!
Expert:  Gavin replied 6 months ago.

No it's not a scam but I have been off today for my son's birthday hence no reply until now. The site generates the phone call option it's not sent by me so I apologise for that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for replying Gavin. We have tried everything & have decided that there is a friendly gremlin inside it. What happens is that you can programme away to your hearts content and then it comes up pause every three minutes later. We have never been able to dry anything either by itself of as an extension to the wash programme ????
Expert:  Gavin replied 6 months ago.
No problem. If you try a spin only program will it complete that cycle?
Is there any drum movement at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Too late to try but will do so in the morning. Thanks for replying:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The whole thing works well eg drawing water in, spinning out and doing cycles at random, but it just keeps coming up with the pause beeps & stopping. It took about four + hours with start stops to do one load.
Expert:  Gavin replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like it has an issue with either the speed of filling or the speed of draining. Have a look at the following things.

Have a look at the bottom of the machine for a filter to unscrew and check for a blockage. As this is an integrated machine you may find you have to pull the plinth forward to access it.

If you look in the cupboards immediately next to it can you see where the hose connects for the water supply? It may have been turned down at the tap or the hose may be trapped or kinked.