Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a CDA FW850 integrated 50/50 fridge freezer. i am

Customer Question

i have a CDA FW850 integrated 50/50 fridge freezer. i am replacing the thermostat but cant see how to remove the outer cover, I have pulled off the control knob, which i think is broke now, but cant get into the spindle nut to remove, there are no screws or flaps/tabs that i can see to gain access. thank you in advance
JA: Who makes your fridge? How old is it?
Customer: it is a 10 yr old CDA FW850 fridge freezer
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I noticed milk had gone off last week and fridge not cold enough ,i turned it up and left it, but after a couple of days, it was still the same, i have purchased another stat but cant find any literature on how to remove cover
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have had the fridge freezer out to check the back for debris but all is fine. the compressor is making the right noises but we're not getting the fridge cold enough
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 7 days ago.

Hello, it's not always easy to replace the thermostat - you'll find it out how easy/hard when you try to extract the sensor.

When you say that the compressor was making the right noises, was it running a normal amount of time, or running for more time than when everything was working correctly?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi tim, I would say it was running for less time, I can here it kick in but then runs for approx 3 minutes
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 7 days ago.

OK. That does indeed suggest a thermostat fault.

It's notoriously difficult to obtain diagrams and/or instructions for the thermostat installation - it's an infrequent task and, to be frank, of the times I've done it there has only been once where the appliance was back to new performance. A 10 year-old fridge freezer is getting to the end of its life - this is the age we live in, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks tim , can u point me in the direction of removing the outer case for the stat, I would sooner attempt a repair before giving up the ghost, I am a boiler technician and work on 30yr boilers regularly, I just thought I could get some direction before I start tearing bits off lol.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 7 days ago.

I understand. I would attempt it on my own f/f too ;-)

I confess I don't have any hands-on knowledge of this particular model, but I think your own intuition is going serve you well.

The only tip I can offer is to look for anything that might conceal a screw - any label, or plastic cap. They can be hidden, but there are times when I've had to use brute force and ignorance, and glue things back afterwards. If you tug on the cover, you can generally feel where it's being retained.

If you prefer, I can opt out of this topic and see if one of the other appliance engineers has personal knowledge if this model and can pick this up.