JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My husband is trying to replace 5e

My husband is trying to replace 5e rubber+seal+on+SHARP+-+ES-GFB7144W3+washing machine. Does he need to take the front panel off?
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: It’s a SHARP - ES-GFB7144W3 Washing Machine. We bought it New in January 2018
JA: How long has this been going on with your Sharp washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The seal completely disintegrated when my daughter washed an underwired bra in it and the metal bit ripped the seal
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The old seal is out and we have a new seal. There is a metal retainer bit, but should there be an inner retainer, too? We can’t seem to find one
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My husband finally thought he had managed to fit the seal. He didn’t take any panels off. He managed to get the wire part to go round the outside of the seal, but when we tried the washing machine it flooded the floor....

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

You shouldnt need to strip the appliance down\remove the front panel to fit a new door seal,is the seal fitting correctly around the front opening?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi James, thanks for replying. Yes, the seal seems to be fitted correctly around the front opening, but we weren’t so sure about the seal around the drum. I think it might have come loose
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The water came out from under the machine, not out through the door

Some times if its not binding around the door port hole water seeps between the door and the front panel and then goes down into the base.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It looks like that all the way around, looks quite tight, but doesn’t seem so tight at the top on the inside
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My husband says it did come off a bit at the top. Is there any trick to get it to stay there? We thought we had got it but obviously not

I would pull it off around the port hole and start it it again, you may fine using lubricant such as vaseline or soap around the rum will help give you a bit of slippage to get it push on around the rum.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks we’ll try it again

Just wanted to follow up to see if I can be any further assistance, or if you are happy for me to close the question.