Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

My Dyson DC34 stick vacuum cuts out. It starts well, but

My Dyson DC34 stick vacuum cuts out. It starts well, but soon starts cutting out. It is 6 years old, and I have fairly recently replaced the battery.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Dyson vacuum? What have you tried so far?
Customer: About a month. First I tried changing the filter round, as the website said this could be the problem. It started well but then after a while it started cutting out again.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That is it, thank you.
Please read the entire message before responding Hi there, my name is*****’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests unless you want phone service from me Please bear with my responses, actively working on the job site also. I am human but I will do my best to reply ASAP.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I´ll await your reply.
Hope you are doing well today. Is it doing what we call “pulsing?”
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It cuts out for a short time, then comes back on again. Is that ´pulsing´?>
Pulsing is like on for a few seconds, off for a few, on for a few,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does that: on for about ten seconds, off for the same, then on again, etc.
Usually it’s a filter issue but there is something we can try. I should add before we try this the filter should be completely disassembled and cleaned
Go to charging point unplug it from Mains. Reconnect and put dyson on charge point then press the trigger on the dyson for 15-20 secs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I´ve done that. When Mains is disconnected, dyson works. When Mains is reconnected, dyson on charge point does not work.
I see. When you cleaned the filter did you completely disassemble it? Also you mentioned the battery was replaced, when was that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took the filter out and actually inserted a clean filter. The battery was replaced in the springtime, I think around April 20919.

Sounds like either the battery has failed or there is an internal fault with the unit or charger.
Was it doing the same thing before you changed the battery?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it wasn´t.

I see. This one is a tough case then if the battery is fairly new and you're sure the filter's clean.

you've got a bad charger, bad battery or the unit's faulty

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What should I do?

have you already tried the trigger trick?
Put it on charge point then press the trigger and*HOLD* it for 20 seconds

if that doesnt work, you'll want to try and replace battery & chargepoint

Hope that I was helpful, courteous and kind.
If you had another question, feel free to ask it now and ill do my best to reply asap
Otherwise, All I ask is that you take just a few seconds and remember to rate the question positively with the stars on the top left.
There should be an option that says something along the lines of "Rate your expert"
Hopefully I earned 5 stars today =). That way JustAnswer will credit me as the expert for answering your question
You can ask a follow up question after rating my services in the same box free of charge with no time constraints
Thanks & have a blessed day, and a happy new year!
- Tamar