Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Bosch ake 40 S electric chakin sawfault cut-out, It's an AKE

Customer Question

bosch ake 40 S electric chakin sawfault cut-out
JA: Do you know the model of your Bosch chain saw? How old is it?
Customer: It's an AKE 40S - about 18 months old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch chain saw? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, working perfectly. Just won't start again. Have checked fuse in plug.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There was no sign of any problem. Been using it successfully for half an hour then simply wouldn't switch on for next cut.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 7 months ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have tried the saw again this morning - i.e. 3 days since it stopped working - just in case it was a random fault and reset itself, or whether there was some kind of internal thermal cut-out device which needed to cool down. However, I was only using it for fairly light work, so wasn't hot. And I'm not aware of such devices on an electrically powered saw.
So yes, I'd still appreciate an answer, as I consider the saw to still be "new".
David Wiltshire
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 7 months ago.

Hello David

Do you have a multimeter? The first step is to eliminate the flex as a possible cause, and the easiest way to do this is to test end-to-end continuity for each of the live and neutral conductors. An alternative is to disconnect the flex from the saw and connect it to a test lamp. However....

The easiest option by far is to claim under the 2-year manufacturer's warranty.
(If you registered the tool with Bosch within 28 days of purchase then the warranty is 3 years.)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The cable is fine.
I was hoping to receive advice about the switch, which I see as the most likely problem, given how the fault manifested itself.
Advice to make a warranty claim can hardly count as "expert advice". (I'm not sure I'd be able to find the receipt and generally don't take out extended warranty.)
I imagined you'd have someone with experience of this device, who might have encountered this problem.
So I've decided to sort this myself, by dismantling the unit.
David Wiltshire
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not expecting to pay for the replies received so far. The replies received this far don't warrant being rated as "expert advice" as there is no evidence of existing or prior knowledge of this product.

Hello David

The process of giving advice is exactly that - a process. It's a commitment of time and it involves questions and answers. In your case, you didn't take the first step in the process, nor did you answer the very first question. And if you didn't anticipate doing the work yourself, and if you don't want to use the warranty for what it's intended, then who did you imagine would do the work?

I presume you haven't solved the problem yet, so by all means post again here if you need further advice.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I completely disagree with your previous comments. I wish to terminate this process with immediate effect. David Wiltshire

Well, it's a fact that you didn't take the first step, and that you still haven't answered the very first question. It's also a fact that you could claim under the warranty, and that I made no mention of an "extended warranty". Another fact: you didn't reply for 4 days, thus failing to further the fault-finding process, and then got extremely grumpy for no justifiable reason.

If you really wanted to stop communicating, then you wouldn't have replied. This is pure spite on your part. Nevertheless, I'm happy to carry on helping you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You clearly have no concept of what I'm trying to do. I was led to expect a quick response. What I received were apologies for noone being able to help - at which point I had other priorities. I am now 4 days into a 10 day trip away from home - so this ongoing correspondence is only of value on my return and in onway indicates any grumpiness on my part! I'm surprised at the language and inferences made in dealing with clients! Apologies if I have given any offence - that was not intended.
I am sorry you were not with happy with the answers so far.
I wonder whether you're OK with us trying to find another professional to assist you? If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and issue a refund.
Oleksandra