Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I started having problems with my hotpoint FF200LP fridge

Customer Question

Hi, I started having problems with my hotpoint FF200LP fridge freezer a few weeks ago. I noticed the fridge and freezer were not as cold as they should be, the fridge going up to about 10 C. I removed the 2 inside back panels of the freezer and melted the ice on the evaporator with a hair dryer and put everything back together. The fridge started working normally for 2 weeks and the same problem occured. I did the same remedy and this time the fridge only worked for 1 week before the same problem started. I decided the the defrost heater was at fault, so replaced it. The fridge worked ok for just over a week and the same problem has started again. Hope you can help with this matter. Many thanks, Liam.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 10 years old. Hotpoint FF200LP.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I got someone out to look at it and he diagnosed the defrost heater, but didn't seem that keen on doing the work. That's why I replaced it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 17 days ago.

If you have replaced the defrost heater and its still doing the same then its more then likely the defrost thermistor thats failed.

As on these the defrost thermistor is clipped onto the evaporator on the top opposte the thermal cut out.

Look at this as sometimes the end cap pops out when it fails.

But this isnt a repair you can do yourself. As you cannot replace this so the fix is to reprogram the control board at the top. This is something Hotpoint will need to do as they need to use there laptop top to be able to reprogram it so not a diy fix im afraid.

So if you do what this fixing then im afraid you will need to get Hotpoint in to do this which isnt really a cheap fix as they charge about £140 for 10 year old appliance.

Sorry its not the news you wanted to hear but if you need anymore info just get back to me.