Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My Bosch computer on my eBike only switches on for one

Customer Question

My Bosch computer on my eBike only switches on for one minute, then switches off. I havent used the bike over the winter. What is the problem?
JA: Do you know the model of your Bosch appliance? How old is it?
Customer: Its about 2 years. Model? dont know exactly. It's the bigger version of one my bike shop tell me they used on emountain bikes
JA: The Appliance Technician can help you find the model number; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your Bosch appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only discovered it this month. It had been put away i the house all winter, Have tried ordinary usb charger no luck. Man next door has EXACTLY the saME TROUBLE WITH HIS. aBSOLUTELY THE SAME,
JA: Do you know the model of your Bosch charger?
Customer: sORRY. nOT TECHNICALLY MINDED. i*F YOU MEAN WHAT USB CHARGER i USED, IT WAS OFF MY MOBILE PHONE (A CHEAP ONE!)
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch charger? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wELL i JUST TRIED CHARGING ONCE, USING POWER PLUG IN HOUSE. sHOULD i USE SPECIAL CHARGER?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: tHAT'S ABOUT ALL. i HAD NEW HIP LAST sEPT SO HADNT RIDDEN MY BMW EBIKE FOR A YEAR. sO COMPUTER HAD BEEN UNUSED FOR YEAR. eXACTLY SAME STORY MAN NEXT DOOR, vERY STRANGE
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 8 days ago.

Hello, leaving aside the man next door for now, does your bike have the Intuvia display unit?

A strong possibility is that the charge in the rechargeable battery in the Intuvia display has fallen too low, so it won't power up. It's possible that if you leave it connected to the bike with the main battery in that it will charge, but I'm not confident about that because many Li-ion batteries will fail irrevocably if left too low for too long. You might have to replace the battery, and the worst case is that you'd have to replace the Intuvia.

​Do you know someone with a working Intuvia display that you could try on your bike? If that confirms that it's the Intuvia, then the following video might help with battery replacement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhjZoKsu8E