KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My Bosch Exxcel 8 washing machine will not spin at the end

My Bosch Exxcel 8 washing machine will not spin at the end of the cycle
JA: Is your Bosch washer top or front loading? How old is it?
Customer: Front loading. Not sure how old - perhaps 10 years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only today. I've checked that the drain is clear.and that the pump impellor blades turn OK
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It failed to spin at the end of an easy-care cycle. I then tried the spin only (rinse and spin with Aqua plus turned) then rinse and spin with aqua plus on. Still didn;t spin

Welcome to Justanswer … my name is Kevin and I will help you today!

Please provide its complete model number from the label inside the door.

Please IGNORE the PHONE CALL request.

That is auto generated and not sent by me.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
WAQ28461GB/01 FD 9208 002392

Thanks for that.

Have you seen any error codes/flashing lights ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What happens next? do I wait for a call?

No sorry I cannot take calls at the moment however, we can continue here if you want.

Please let me know:

Please IGNORE the PHONE CALL request.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No error codes or flashing light. It just jumps to the end of the cycle when I expect the spin to start

Thanks for that.

The problem is with carbon brushes inside the motor that are worn out and will need replacement.

When the motor wont work, the appliance will neither wash nor spin/rinse.

The part is available HERE for £33 + repair charges.

If you wish to replace it yourself this VIDEO will give you an idea on how its done.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

____________________________________________________________

If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5 STAR Rating (from top of this page) at this time is appreciated.

Thank You!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But it does the washing OK. It's just the spin at the end which doesn't work

From what all you have described and looking the age of appliance, it is the brushes that will need replacement.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How come the washing cycle goes through OK? The drum is clearly turning and the washing is clean

Is it same no matter what program you choose ?

Have you replaced the brushes ever ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've tried 3 programs and none spin. No, I have never replaced the brushes.

OK, sometimes it will wash however, if you keep on using it, the motor might go faulty and then you will end up replacing the motor completely.

You may unplug it and then remove the top off appliance to check the belt (if its worn out).

However, the brushes will need replacement.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'll have a look at replacing the brushes. I'll have to do it myself because I'm on the COVID-19 "at risk" list and can't go out nor have anyone in the house

OK, the Video will help.

Do you have any other questions regarding your appliance?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thanks - unless the new brushes don't solve it!

They will solve it.

You may post back here for further assistance.

You are very welcome.

Stay Safe.

Please click on STARS (*****) from top of this page

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I checked out the video link on how to replace the brushes. However, although there is a panel at the back to access the drive belt, the whole of the back is part of the sides of my model of washing machine.. Although I can unhook the electrics and disconnect the water feed, there a two very heavy duty springs hooked into the top of the sides which I find too strong to remove. Is this really a job for someone with the right tools?

For this model of washer you will have to remove the front of appliance to access the motor.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK, thanks

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I just spent a long time draining water out of the little pipe inside the small panel at the front (difficult because it's so low down). After that, I put some towels in the machine as a lod, put it on the spin only cycle, and it spun fine. Doesn't this suggest there's a problem with the small pump rather than the main motor?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I meant the drainage pump
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
After unplugging everything, I tipped the machine onto it's front, to find that there is no panel covering the base. The brushes are readily accessible. I will try to remove the hose to the drainage pump to see if it's blocked.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please do NOT phone -it's not necessary now. I hope I haven't been charged the £16

OK, well everything was based on this statement of yours:

I've checked that the drain is clear.and that the pump impellor blades turn OK

If you can remove the hose from pump to drum and clean it.

Then run a rinse/spin only cycle and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I took the main hose off (the one between the drum and the pump) and confirmed no blockage. Took me a LONG time to get the sprung circlips back into place. For good measure, I wiggled the electrical plug in its socket to be sure it was seated correctly. I then ran the rinse/spin cycle and it all worked perfectly. Do you think it was simply an electrical connection problem?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the electrical plug supplying the pump

Yes, if it wont drain fine it wont spin.

As its working fine you may use it, if the issue returns you know you have to replace the carbon brushes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I know if it won't drain, it won't spin. The problem was how to solve the failure to drain. Glad I didn't need to take the front off, which you said I had to do with my model to access the brushes.

Well looking at the age of your appliance in another few months and the way it is working, you might have to replace the brushes.

The answer was based on the information that you have provided.

Anyways, good luck with your appliance.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I said from the start that the drain was clear, and so it proved to be. You also told me I had to take the front off to replace the brushes, which was incorrect. Anyway, thank you for your good wishes.

No problem, You are very welcome.