JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have just bought a beko BZ77F freezer and when I plug it

Hi I have just bought a beko BZ77F freezer and when I plug it in, the power stays on for a few seconds then it trips the RCD. I’ve tried it on a few different ring mains and the same thing happens. I am not sure what to do to get it working. Is this something you can help with please? Thanks, Nick
JA: How long has this been going on with your Beko freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just bought it and it has happened ever since I first turned it on. But I tested it in the shop and it was working fine then
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I bought it second hand from a dealer- it's new, but has a few knocks where it must have got damaged in transit. And when I turn the power on, with the door open it gives the temperature at -18 which I guess is what the thermostat is set for it to go to, then after a few seconds the temp on the indicator changes to the temperature in the room, then the RCD trips. But there's no sound in the fridge of anything coming on or anything
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi Nick, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

How was the appliance transported, was it boxed up?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks James, no, it wasn't in a box in the shop and I transported it in the back of my car from the shop.

it was a smooth journey from the shop so nothing should have got damaged
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am wondering if there are common sources of this happening that I could troubleshoot at home or if it's likely to be a complicated issue that I would need to get someone to look at?

RCD tripping is an earth leakage fault, typically this is a lose connection, the fact its failing after a few seconds suggests to me its the compressor.

These type of faults are a reach challenge to fault find to be fair as you would generally need a PAT tester to detect where the earth leakage is incurring, by stripping out the PCB and isolating components (compressor, thermostat, lights, sensors etc).

I would be inclined to leave it off for an hour or two, and then power it up after giving it time to settle and set the temp to highest setting and then turn it on and see if it faults straight away.

Beko products are budget in nature so the journey home may have caused a component to fail if not packaged, so unless experienced in fault finding I would opt for a fixed price repair as you can spend hours chasing these faults.

Such repairs can be found here.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks. I have left it off overnight and tested it over a few days and it’s consistent. Sounds like it may well be the compressor as it trips when it seems like it would start to work. What would be involved in fixing it if it is an earth leakage fault with the compressor?

Most likely a new compressor, which means re-gassing.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just unplugged it and accidentally touched the plug on the end of the cable from the freezer and got an electric shock from it. I guess that's another indicator that it's not earthing properly.

So are you saying you think it would need both a new compressor and regassing?

How much generally would a new compressor be to buy?

And is it easy to fit a new compressor and regass myself?

Or would I need to get someone else to do it and if so, do you have an idea of how much that would generally cost?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
And if it’s an earth leakage fault on the compressor does that mean it needs a whole new compressor?

I just looked on the beko site and it says the a new one is about £200

If you remove the compressor to strip it down or replace it will need re-gassing.

The shock could be form charge build up in the compressor or from the PCB relay, but yes it sounds like something is shorting and storing energy to cause a shock.

As I say its going to be cheaper to opt for a fixed price repair such as Know How listed above, typically £50 for re-gas and £200 odd for a compressor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks very much, that's probably all I need to know for now. Thanks for your help. I'll come back if I get any more questions? Thanks, Nick

Yes no problem Nick the question stays open for a good week, in the mean time please rate the response provided to date using the star rating at the top of this page.