Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Dear Pearl, I have been struggling with my fridge since

Dear Pearl,
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: I have been struggling with my fridge since yesterday. It doesn't bring the temperature down although it sounds like it is working, all switches are on and lights show everything is working.
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's an AEG Electrolux
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Model: SANTO N71840-5I Type B257717

If you look inside the fridge at the back wall do you see any ice forming on this?

If you press against the back wall does it feel spongy at any part on the back wall?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't see any ice forming
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't feel any spongy areas on the back wall

Ok is the freezer still working and can you hear the compressor (motor) at the back running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the freezer is still working and I can hear the usual fridge sound
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like everything is functioning normally, but the fridge is not bringing the temperature down

Ok im afraid this isnt good news.

As on this its a frost free freezer but a wet all fridge.

When you get this fault were the fridge isnt cold it a fault on the sealed system side.

Its either short of gas or a poor pumping compressor here.

Its more then likely the compressor as they first pump the gas into the freezer system and then up to the fridge.

So if you have a weak compressor it can pump gas around the freezer system but struggles to get to the fridge section so you get this fault.

Now this isnt a diy fix as a fridge engineer will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see what pressure its running at.

This isnt a cheap fix as a compressor fitted is around the £250-300 mark.

Sorry its not the news you wanted to hear. Also as to the freezer keep an eye on it as im afraid this will sooner rather then later start to loose its cooling as well and this will soon defrost itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will forward this to my landlord and see if/how they want to procede. What's the best way to get back to you once I've heard from them?

No worries, If its a landlord applaince then we tend to find they replace them rather then fixing them.

As to getting back to me then you will have an email with each reply i sent. On there is a link so click on this and it will bring you back here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks ever so much, I will be in touch soon when I hear from the landlord. Thanks for your help.

No worries, Your very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do!

No worries.