Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

My sewing machine is threaded properly but it doesn't

Customer Question

Hi my sewing machine is threaded properly but it doesn't stitch
JA: What's the brand and model of your sewing machine? How old is it?
Customer: Janome js1004
JA: How long has this been going on with your Janome sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't used it for some time. I have reloaded the bobbin, rethreaded needle changed the tension and the style
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it looks like it is stitching but when i remove the fabric there is nothing there
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is now stitching but it is missing stitches. How long will it be before someone contacts me please
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Well I’ve paid my £5 so yes I would like help
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 14 days ago.

Try a sharp new needle first (and check it is in correctly, flat side to the rear)... this is often enough to resolve skipped stitches
NOTE : If it is under warranty, do NOT attempt to do too much, lest you void the warranty
If you have had a recent jam, then this suggests timing may be affected

In any event..... here's how to check

• Unplug machine and remove all thread
  • Remove Needleplate, Free Arm and Bobbin Case so you can watch the needle easily
  • In correct Timing, the needle will be at the lowest point just before the tip of the hook passes behind (to catch the top thread)
  • If the hook passes too soon or too late, it will need re-timing...
  • This short VIDEO shows how a stitch is formed… if the hook is not in the correct position, it will not catch the needle thread
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8CMNzW6Tg

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here.

Note that I am in Australia, (where phone support is not available) so any time difference may mean delays in any online exchange…and I am only here on and off... we are not staff, just as and when we have some spare time to help out

Please get back to me with your findings

Martyn

(In Oz)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I changed the needle and that has helped a lot it is not missing stitches now although the back stitches seem a little tight so now playing with tension.

Good, that is often enough

DO NOT fiddle with the bobbin tension !!

Let me know as and when, I am about done for today here