drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

Fridge freezer was too cold so I switch it off for 6hr now

Customer Question

Fridge freezer was too cold so I switch it off for 6hr now it won’t come back on
JA: Who makes your fridge? How old is it?
Customer: bosch and about 8years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started yesterday I’ve tried switching it on and off
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when I switch it on it appears to start for about 10sec
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, Can you pull the unit off the wall?…remove the cover at the back if it has a cover.… is your compressor (Black steel ball) at the back is running? Vibrating? Hot to touch (Be careful, it could be too hot to handle)...is the fan near the compressor running? is the condenser coil dirty?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The motor is hot to the touch but everything else is clean
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I’m quite happy to do what I’m told
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Ok...is the motor vibrating?....please hold the small black pipe away from the compressor and feel if it vibrates...feel also if it is hot?

thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The motor is not vibrating but it is hot
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

I dont offer the phone service ..do you want it?...I do not do phone service but I could call you via messenger...facetime ..or viber. Thanks.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am happy just to get the messages I do not need a phone call
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

ok...

Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Please unplug the unit...put a damped rag on top of the compressor to cool it down...Then after an hour...let me know if it will run after plugging it back in.

Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

If the rag would dry up...you can damped it again and put it again on top of the compressor.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay will do
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Ok...I will wait in one hour...Tnx.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Called down the compressor and there is a noise from the fridge but it’s not cooling
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Did the compressor vibrates?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

then it is still open...is the compressor still hot? ....is there a fan inside the freezer and is it running?...making the noise?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It’s warm rather than hot you could keep your hand on it as regards ***** ***** fan on the inside there is no sign of one and I’ve taken off covers et cetera
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Is the noise still there?

Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Hello...are you still here?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There is very slight noise in it now but the compressor is certainly not cutting in
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

ok...is the black pipe coming out of the comoressor that goes to the condenser coil getting hot?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No none of the pipes are hot at the back
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

ok...still the compressor is not running. When you said on your first post that you plug and unplug the unit...how long did you wait before you plug it back? and what is the sound that you heard...it appears to run for 10 seconds..then did you hear a click then silent?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can hear the compressor clicking every now and then but the noise is now constant in the fridge
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

ok..and now...no more clicking?...that is because the compressor thermal overload trips...it could take more than 2 hours to reset...hopefully it does...Do you have a meter to measure resistance?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I don’t have a meter test resistance
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

I am thinking...the overload protector of the compressor could have failed because of trying to start...that would be in the side of the compressor. Can you send me the picture of the compressor please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (LM61V36)
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for that...if you open the plastic cover at the left hand side..it would look like the attached picture...we need the tester to see if we have resistance on the overload...Be careful removing wires...you will put them back again...take a picture before removing wires...

Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

The one on top is the overload...the bottom is the starting relay....you may have a different part...but they function the same...we need to test if the overload is already open...we need the meter....

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry don’t have a meter
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

were you able to remove the plastic cover at the side of the compressor. Or should we just plug it back tomorrow..same time when we first chat...i'm sure the compressor would be very cold and would have run by then if the overload is not bad.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you that would be very helpful and yes I did manage to take off the plastic cover but I’ve got to go out now and we will speak tomorrow thank you
Expert:  drcool299 replied 17 days ago.

Ok...if you can borrow a meter tomorrow ...that would be great......

Please stay safe.