Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Ice keeps building up around the drain hole in my fridge I

Customer Question

Ice keeps building up around the drain hole in my fridge I have to clear it about every other day. How do I prevent it
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge?
Customer: It is a Zanussi ZRG11600WA
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried unplugging it and putting the hair dryer on thenice and then poking something down the drain hole to make sure it is clear before restarting the fridge. I have had the fridge since 2011
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything else
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

How long is the object you used to poke down the drain hole?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 7 inches
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

7 inches is certainly impressive, but if there was a small bit of debris then it might still be blocking the tube.

The very best thing to use is a 1 metre length of net curtain wire - the springy stuff coated with PVC. Put/keep a hook in one end so that you don't lose it. Just gently and slowly push the curtain wire into the hole and down the channel. Pull it back and forth a couple of times, and that should be enough. Pour a small amount of water onto the drain valley to run into the hole, to test it. Not too much water - just enough to prove that it's clear.