Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Have just taken delivery of DMG7129X microwave. In the box

Customer Question

Have just taken delivery of DMG7129X microwave. In the box there is a piece of metal . Is it really necessary to fit this to top/back of oven as my old de Dietrich did not have this. What is it’s purpose? There are no instructions for fitting this - just a diagram which is not clear.
JA: Is your De Dietrich oven gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: It is brand new. I just slipped the 17 year old de Dietrich out and slid the new one in. Then I found this piece of metal in the box
JA: How long has this been going on with your De Dietrich oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is newly out of the box and I haven’t even switched it on yet. I wanted to make sure this part is not vital. It looks as though it is a flap to be fixed to upper back outside of microwave
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

So that I can give you accurate guidance, please could attach a photo of the piece of metal?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully the picture is attached
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I see your photo and I'm just looking in the product manual...

Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

What are the dimensions of that bracketty thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
540mm x 125mm. You can see it is fitted to back of microwave on the line diagram at beginning of installation guide. However it is not mentioned specifically so cannot work out if essential. If it was critical I feel sure there would have been more said about the part.
As we previously had a de Dietrich built-in microwave, we just slid out the old one and slid in the new one. Then noticed this part inside the delivery box!
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Bizarre. I don't have a copy of the installation manual, and cannot find one.

I'm inclined to propose that you treat this part as extraneous and ignore it, but I'm curious to know in which position the manual suggest it should be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For your interest I have attached diagrams in installation guide. You can see how this part appears to be attached at the top of microwave at backside - almost looks like a heat shield. Anyway I have been using it today and all going well apart from the fact that the controls are almost totally illegible as they are so faint. Really bad bad design so bad choice on my part from this point of view!! Otherwise looks the part so here’s hoping.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

So, it's more clear to me now that it's a panel intended to direct the flow of air from the rear of the oven. In the diagram you've just attached, the panel attaches to the rear of the appliance using two of the screws provided.

Essential? Hard to say. I would call the De Dietrich "In Warranty Queries" department (03330 436695) and ask them to explain it. I realise that this is probably the same thinking that led you to this site, but I would phone them.