Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a built in waste disposal unit in my stainless steel

Customer Question

I have a built in waste disposal unit in my stainless steel sink in my kitchen. It is titled " in sink erator ". Electrics are OK but when I switch it on it is making an unusual noise.
JA: Do you know the model of your InSinkErator? Have you talked to a plumber yet?
Customer: I do not know the model and I have not talked to anybody at this stage
JA: The Plumber can help you find the model number for your garbage disposal; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your InSinkErator garbage disposal? What have you tried so far?
Customer: With the electrics off I have put my hand down to see if there is anything ( like a teaspoon ) stuck. I have moved the blades by hand but still the noise persists. Started around lockdown time
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Water is running away OK so does not appear to be any blockage. Problem seems mechanical
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Could you describe that nature of the unusual noise? If you can record it so you should be able to attach a soundclip or video here, then I could also hear it.
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Metal on metal sound -
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not wish to spend any more money on this - so do not charge me £ 16.00 and credit the £ 5.00 already paid. I shall call a local plumber thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm you have actioned my last message
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

The sound you describe suggests either that something has fallen into the macerating chamber, or that there's arcing in the motor.

How old is your Insinkerator unit?