Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We are in a new house with a water softener.. We had

We are in a new house with a water softener.. We had problems with a residue building up on the stainless steel and chrome fittings, which wasn't limescale. The water softener people suggested turning off the softener for a period of around fours weeks and then back on to see whether that resolved the problem. We have turned the softener back on now and when we first turned on a cold tap we had a flow of brown water for a minute or two which must have come from the softener. The softener supplier says it is nothing to worry about as it is quite normal after water has been left like that for a matter of weeks (6). I have never seen anything like that before and would like confirmation that it is OK and it is not a problem with the softener. Please advise.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this water softener issue?
Customer: This brown water happened last night.
JA: How long has this been going on with your water softener? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This was an isolated incident following the softener being off for a period.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The original problem of the residue forming was not resolved. The suggestion was that it could be copper pipes or fluxes left behind that were creating some reaction - so running them with hard water might coat the pipes and prevent the reaction. Otherwise I am not aware of anything.

Good afternoon, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

This is usually the result of iron-rich water sitting in the brine tank. The colour from ferrous oxide (Fe2O3, aka rust), and drinking it isn't toxic, not that you would normally be drinking the softened water anyway.
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't think the water going through the resin core had any link with the brine tank
Is that correct?

No that's fundamentally incorrect.

The brine tank contains sodium-rich water which is flushed through the resin core during regeneration. A small amount of rust goes a long way, and the colour can taint the resin beads for some time.