Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Thetford N3000 refrigerator in my motorhome. It's

Hi, I have a Thetford N3000 refrigerator in my motorhome. It's been working perfectly on 220V electricity for 9 weeks now. It's on the auto setting. Last night we came home to the van to find it had switched to gas power. I've checked the fuse in the plug and it's fine. The rest of the equipment on 220V, in the van, also works perfectly. Have you any suggestions as to what to try next please?
JA: Who makes your fridge?
Customer: Thetford
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It stated last night, somewhere between 20.00 and 22.30 BST. I've tried turning it on and off, setting it to 220V power only and checking the fuse in the plug.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There is nothing else wrong with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

The N3000 should switch to gas under various circumstances, so is it possible that there was an interruption to the 240VAC supply while you were out?

When you say that you've tried setting to 220V power only, does it then run in that mode, or is it refusing to?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is refusing to. The display flashes and a number 8 symbol appears too.

OK. So it appears that there's a fault in the detection of the mains supply. The user manual says:

"In case of a problem an error code on the control panel can light up. When error codes 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 or 13 are visible, switch the refrigerator off and on again. If the problems still exist, directly contact your dealer or a Thetford Service Centre."

The attached page gives you a bit more insight.

While you have this fault, don't forget to keep the AA batteries fresh so that the N3000 can continue to run on gas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the fridge disconnected from the mains for a few minutes whilst I checked the fuse and turned it on and off when it first happened. I contacted Thetford at first and their website directed me to yours!

I don't understand the redirection. I've just looked at the following web site and see lots of names and UK addresses, but no reference to JustAnswer:

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/dealer-and-service-centres-locator

If you want to undertake the repairs yourself and you want guidance then I'll happily help you, but I get the feeling that you need a visit from an engineer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I do. I initially went on their chat service and they sent me here. Not to worry, I’ll chase it up again with them. If it’s something technical then it will be best done by them. At least if it fails again it’s not to do with either of us! ;)

That is true! I don't suppose it's still under warranty? :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No such luck! It’s about 4 years old. It’s worked perfectly up until now. All over Europe. Perhaps it’s got Covid! ����

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever :-/
As least it's still working from the gas supply - the auto-switching is a good feature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife just tried turning it on and off one last time! And it came on 220V, no problem! It would now appear it was my fault all along! ;) Thank you for your help.

Interesting. Are you on a hook-up, or your own inverter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hook up. We're staying on a friends farm. We've been here 10 weeks, helping with lambing and stuff.

Is it possible that the supply dipped below the threshold that makes the fridge switch over, and has now recovered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s possible. I don’t know how we’d find out. If it happens again, we’ll know I suppose.

If you have a meter you can measure the supply voltage. A cheap and cheerful device like this one might be a prudent investment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ll look into it, thank you.

I will interested to hear if you find that the supply is dipping.

This is an opportune moment to ask if you would rate my assistance, using the 5 stars at the top of the page. The customer's rating is what enables an expert to be paid for their time, so I hope I was helpful to you.

Thank you for your rating, and you kind bonus :-)