drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

I have an old oven ZHF470X and recently bought a new grill

Hi, I have an old oven ZHF470X and recently bought a new grill element but there is no earth connection (green wire) on the new element. Can you advise me what to do? Thanks Conor Treacy
JA: Who makes your oven? How old is it?
Customer: Zanussi approx. 18 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Old element was getting slow so decided to get new one
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, just uncertain what to do with earth wire

Hello, Do you have a small clamp, what you can do is clamp the green wire to any metal body of the heater.Preferably the one that does not heat but not to the terminal clip where power is connected. This will make sure the whole body of the heating element is connected to ground.

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what does a small clamp look like - is it something I would have to buy?

yes...it is a small hose clamp that you can open up and insert the pipe and the wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what the old element looked like before I took it out - the problem is that the new element has not connection for the green wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi attached is the new element

Thank you for those picture. You can clamped it to the exposed bolts or if the bolts would have nuts that would secure it, you can replace the terminal clip with an eye terminal that would fit the bolt and tighten the nut with the ground wire secured to the bolt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great so if I remove the connector at the end of the wire, cut the green plastic cover to expose the wire and then wrap it around the bolt it should be sorted?

That would do the same. But it would be nicer if we use eye terminal. The wire should not come out of the bolt later on, so it needs to be clamped.or the nut could hold it in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I don't have an eye terminal and the shops are closed so I just wrapped it around the bolt - it looks a bit rough but do you think it should be ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (5511463)

That would do...and there is a nut that would press the wire in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great - thanks very much for all your help. Conor

You're very much welcome...Glad I was able to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click the accept button. Thanks