drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

I have a hotpoint fridge freezer and it's not getting cold,

I have a hotpoint fridge freezer and it's not getting cold
JA: Do you know the model of your Hotpoint fridge? How old is it?
Customer: Its 2 years old and I'm not sure on the model
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Notice it this morning and I have made sure the coils on the back are clean
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The door open light and cooling controls are working

Hello...can we have the model number please?…it might be found on a sticker inside the fridge or on a nameplate at the lower frame of the unit as you open the lower door.

Is this a side by side or top freezer or bottom freezer?

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model number is ***** and it's a top fridge bottom freezer

Hello…Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall? Do you notice air coming out of the freezer vents? You would need to remove the freezer drawers please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have removed the drawers and the frost that was in there just slid off the wall like it was half melted and can't feel any air but the out side walls of the unit are cold

I think your have a frosted evaporator and the ice could have crawled to the fan blade and stopped it from turning .

You can try unplugging the unit for 12 hours to thaw all the ice inside with the freezer door open or if you can blow a desk fan in front of the freezer, then you can accelerate the defrosting by 6 hours. Plug it back after defrosting it and observe if there is a fan in the freezer than runs and blows on the freezer vents.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll give it a try

ok.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click the accept button. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I tried defrosting but I have plugged it back in and it didn't do anything it's still not cold I cant hear the compressor firing up still either

Hello, did the pan at the top of the compressor was filled with water from inside the unit? Have you turned up the thermiostat to its coldest setting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried the super cool button all the light come on but it's still not cold and no the pan on the back is empty

If the compressor is still not running and there was no water in the pan, that means there was no ice inside the evaporator, then the problem is the thermostat control. If it is digital, you will have to replace it, if it is mechanical, the one that you can turn, you can remove it at the side and connect the two wires attached to the thermostat. Unplug the unit first. Then taped the connection with electrical tape, then plug it back to see if the compressor would run.