Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

Have been sewing lots for NHS. Janome XC33. M/C is now not

Customer Question

Have been sewing lots for NHS. Janome XC33. M/C is now not responding at all except safety warning. I've cleared the bobbin of lint and bobbin winder in place.
JA: How old is your Janome sewing machine?
Customer: 15 yrs?
JA: How long has this been going on with your Janome sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's been slightly erratic recently, but I feel I've tried everything. Threaded correctly. De fluffed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

Sensor may be falsely indicating warning... or there may be a jam

Likely to be a thread jam...?

Check around and under bobbin case

Check under Needleplate for feed teeth lint trapped in there

Takeup lever on top shaft (VERY difficult to see at times, as the thread can jam between the shaft and armature… good light and a magnifier is recommended) (The take-up lever is located directly above the presser foot of a sewing machine. It's the part of the machine that pulls the thread from the spool to feed it through the machine and lifts the thread back up out of the cloth after a stitch has been made. Simply put, it's the part that goes “up and down” as you sew.)

Handwheel near bobbin winder… (inside the body, on the spindle, even the Handwheel at times)

What can you see ?

If the Handwheel is stiff or locked up, there is a 95% chance of a jam in one of the 3 places mentioned
Takeup crank can be so bad as to have jammed BETWEEN Shaft and Connecting rod... it needs to be dismantled to resolve, and is not for the untrained unfortunately

The other 5% is where sitting idle for a long period causes issues of corrosion or old oil forming ‘glue’