Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

Problem with the stitch on my Singer sewing machine. machine

Problem with the stitch on my Singer sewing machine.
JA: Do you know the model of your Singer sewing machine? How old is it?
Customer: machine about 12 years old, well used and usually reliable 10 and 13 pattern sewing machine.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Singer sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Very recent. have tried changing needle, bobbin, new shuttle, Top stitch isn't lociking, i.e. straight thread which pulls out easily
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Trusty machine which has just sewn numerous NHS scrubs. Perhaps it is overworked

Model # please

https://www.singer.com/find-your-model

If the needle to hook is out of balance it will never form a stitch
As needle rises, the hook MUST be above the eye approx 1.8mm
Turn slowly by hand and watch the relationship
​Is there any deviation to this balance of needle to hook ??

Try a sharp new needle first (and check it is in correctly, flat side to the rear)... this is often enough to resolve skipped stitches
NOTE : If it is under warranty, do NOT attempt to do too much, lest you void the warranty
If you have had a recent jam, then this suggests timing may be affected

In any event..... here's how to check

• Unplug machine and remove all thread
  • Remove Needleplate, Free Arm and Bobbin Case so you can watch the needle easily
  • In correct Timing, the needle will be at the lowest point just before the tip of the hook passes behind (to catch the top thread)
  • If the hook passes too soon or too late, it will need re-timing...
  • This short VIDEO shows how a stitch is formed… if the hook is not in the correct position, it will not catch the needle thread
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8CMNzW6Tg

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here.

Note that I am in Australia, (where phone support is not available) so any time difference may mean delays in any online exchange…and I am only here on and off... we are not staff, just as and when we have some spare time to help out

Please get back to me with your findings

Martyn

(In Oz)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Very grateful for your response. I have carried out all your suggestions and watched the helpful video. However, the same problem exists and feel the comment about timing and adjustment may be the problem. I will endeavour to find a Singer service who could make the necessary checks. Your research was amazing!
You're welcome
20+ years of experience
Please remember to rate my input positively (3* or more) before you leave, using the Stars at the top of the page chatRegards
Martyn
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience: Owner/Partner at Bargain Box