drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

Hotpoint fridge freezer FFUL 1820 not working, but the light

Hotpoint fridge freezer FFUL 1820 not working, but the light comes on when fridge door opened. Have unplugged and switched back on but makes no difference. Help, please!
JA: Do you know the model of your Hotpoint fridge? How old is it?
Customer: FFUL 1820 6 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just noticed it. Switched it off and on again.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Sent husband to look at freezer and he says that's not working too.

Can you pull the unit off the wall, remove the cover at the back (If it has), feel the compressor( Black steel ball) if it is running? Vibrating, Hot to touch?,(Be careful, it could be too hot to handle)

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Warm but not vibrating.

Ok..sot that would explain why it is not cooling, the compressor is not running. Have you tried setting the thermostat to coldest setting and observe if the compressor will run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have switched both fridge and freezer settings to maximum and pressed the supercool and superfreeze buttons but there is no noise at all. Does that mean it needs a new compressor?

Not yet. We have to know why the compressor would not run. Do you have a meter to measure resistance and voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - no!

Ok. We cannot tell if your compressor is bad or the controller could be bad with out a meter or a tester.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help - I'll need to call out a local repair man. Many thanks!

You're very much welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click ”Finish conversation with expert” . Thanks