Tamar D
Tamar D, Master Tradesman
Experience:  HVAC/Refrigeration & Appliance Tech
17066333

The fridge freezer is freezing up in the bottom drawer -

Hi, the fridge freezer is freezing up in the bottom drawer - salad drawers
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?
Customer: Hotpoint - sorry, hang on a moment while I check...
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the temperature was at the ‘normal’ setting, but have eventually turned it down to almost the holiday setting. The model number isFF200L. contd.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The machine is several years old, but has only recently started freezing in the ‘wrong place’.
Please read entire message before responding. There’s important information below.Hi there, my name is*****’ve got over 10 years in the trade and I’ll be glad to help
Please disregard any automated phone request or service requests as they are generated by the website. You do not have to accept phone requests
unless you want that service.
There may be a slight delay in between our messages
Hello I hope you are doing well today.
Sorry that you’re experiencing this issue, I will do all I can to help.Aside from the problem with the crisper drawers freezing? Is the unit keeping temp? All the products ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the temperature in the rest of the machine seems to be ok, as I said earlier we’ve had to turn the temperature down to almost ‘holiday’ setting to stop the salad drawer from freezing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, bit late in answering your last question...yes, products ok (once thawed out).
I see, there’s a few reasons this can happen.Are the drawers at least half full?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, do your drawers have an air adjustment? Some will have a little slider you slide back and forth that can adjust how much air goes into them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
What’s the thermostat set at currently? Do you have one for both the freezer and fridge or just one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have two thermostats, the fridge is currently on the holiday setting. Fridge contents are, I believe, at a ‘normal’ temperature. (We don’t have a thermometer to measure how chilled it is).
You’re going to want to set the fridge and the freezer Both at about the midway point, this is the ideal temperature. Also I want you to make sure that no food is blocking any air vents or grilles in the fridge or freezer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. The freezer we have no problem with. I’ll check the fridge vent and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freezer set to normal, and untouched. Fridge compartment checked, vents are free from blockage. The thermostat for the fridge had been set midway, but turned down (that is down to holiday Setting) over a couple of days. Fast freeze lights are ‘OFF’.
Okay good. So you changed the thermostat setting? Can you feel if any airflow is going. To those drawers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve removed one of the salad drawers and the only thing I can feel is - probably - a downdraft of cold air rather a flow of air.
I see.
Wait and see if this adjustment makes a difference, shut off the ice maker if you aren’t using it and try to avoid opening the doors for long periods of time. Don’t want to introduce unnecessary humidity or moistureIf you have the temp at the midway point, it may resolve.Take a moment of time just to double check over the drawers for any type of humidity/air adjustment incase we missed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help to date.
You’re welcome
If you don’t mind, please take a moment to rate the question so I’ll be credited. This will also set you up for asking me any follow up questions later, free of charge with no time constraints.We will keep going till you are satisfied
Thanks and stay safe
Tamar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Tamar, as advised the fridge (not freezer) has been returned to the ‘normal’ setting and, having found a digital thermometer, placed it into the salad drawer, find the temperature reading 33.4 degrees.
Great, Fahrenheit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a little cool, slightly above freezing. It may take a little while for the temperature to balance out over-all in the unit.