drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

My smeg fridge is not cold enough but large amount of ice

Hi my smeg fridge is not cold enough but large amount of ice built up in freezer box? Can you advise thanks
JA: Do you know the model of your Smeg fridge? How old is it?
Customer: Sorry I don’t know the age but the model is s28stap/1
JA: The Appliance Technician can help you find the model number for your refrigerator; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your Smeg refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve just recently moved in the property and it was here I noticed it wasn’t very cold so I turned it up. Bottles and things inside are still not cold
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I don’t think so sorry

Hello, this is sounding like a defrost issue but it could be something else. The problem why it is not cooling very well is because the evaporator is covered in ice and is blocking the flow of air to the evaporator. Hence, poor performance.

Ice build up is sometimes caused by door being left ajar, moisture on improper food packaging in the freezer, or a defrost issue, Meaning, the automatic defrost cycle is not happening. Let us first defrost your unit so that it will cool down right away.

If there are not much food in the freezer, I would like you to unplug it for 8 hours, leave the freezer door open, put a desk fan on front to accelerate defrosting . Then plug it back and observe . The unit will cool down but still, observe it for the next couple of days if the problem would comeback. If it does, then you have a defrost issue .

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click ”Finish conversation with expert” . Thanks

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're very much welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.