drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

I have a Hotpoint Fridge-Freezer (Model STF 200 WP) with

Hello, I have a Hotpoint Fridge-Freezer (Model STF 200 WP) with flashing amber and green lights. I cannot reset them when I turn two dials to off or even switching off machine for a few minutes at mains. Any advice appreciated,
JA: How old is your Hotpoint freezer?
Customer: Around 7-8 years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Quite a while. I have tried turning dials down and unplugging. P.S. Freezer has not been freexing well of late.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: *freezing Fridge working OK

Hello, the flashing amber is an indication of the unit not cooling. You said the freezer is not cooling, Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall? Do you notice air coming out of the freezer vents? You would need to remove the freezer drawers to see the back wall inside the freezer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no frost accumulating at the back of the freezer. The freezer in fact does seem to be freezing better these days.

Ok. Thank you for that info.

Can you pull the unit off the wall, remove the cover at the back (If it has), feel the compressor( Black steel ball) if it is running? Vibrating, Hot to touch?,(Be careful, it could be too hot to handle), is the fan (If it has) near the compressor running?

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The black steel ball is hot yesterday’s
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not yesterday sorry typo)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No fan that I can see
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
See pic

ok. so the fan is very hot now?...is it vibrating?...try to feel 15 inches away from the compressor, a small black pipe so you will feel if the compressor is vibrating and if the small pipe is hot.

Yours is sliver...sorry, usually it is painted black.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The silver pipes to the right of the compressor are hot yes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can’t see a fan

oh...sorry, the compressor i mean is hot and it looks like it is running because the silver pipe is hot. Did you felt any vibration?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a bit

Ok. what about the other silver pipe that is on the right side, how does it feel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The one that joins with the black pipe on far right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has a u shape
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That one is hot too, though not as hot as silver pipe coming out of compressor

Ok.. That's good to know. It signifies full refrigerant if the big copper pipe at the left side is warm. Can you feel it please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Big thick copper pipe on left is cool not warm

Ok...thank you for that info. i was hoping it to be warm. How's your ambient temperature where the unit is? approximately what?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Normal room temp 20celcius

Oh...20C is normal to you? here in our place, normal is 33C that is why that big copper pipe is always warm.

Anyway, I cannot tell if the copper pipe is cold because the ambient is cold or if the unit lacks refrigerant. With a 20C ambient, I don't think the copper pipe will get warm even with a full charge of refrigerant. I really need to hook up a gage manifold that would determine really if the unit is undercharge. But that, I can't do....

Then let us go to the fridge, is it cooling even slightly? feel the back wall inside the fridge if it feels cold? We know that the compressor at the back is running.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fridge is calling fine, we use it all the time, it’s the freezer that doesn’t appear to be calling consistently well. The freezer will freeze ice and bread but for example with some ice cream it struggles…
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we certainly don’t feel confident to put meat inside it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To summarise, fridge seems fine, freezer not performing well enough
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cooling (not calling)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All three of these lights flash continuously

Well, based on our interaction and without opening the freezer to inspect the coil since you said there was no frost accumulation in the freezer back wall, I would say the unit lacks refrigerant to fully cool the freezer. it could probably just lost a few grams and started to affect the freezer performance. it would be days or weeks to probably feel the effect of lack of refrigerant to the whole unit. Those light flashes because it is telling you that the freezer is not reaching the working temperature of a freezer and something could be wrong. and that could be lack of refrigerant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks so it sounds like I need to call an fridge engineer..?

I would recommend that too. It would be best if a face to face troubleshooting will be performed on your unit.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click ”Finish conversation with expert” . Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

You're very much welcome.

Please stay safe.