drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

I purchased a Zanussi (ZFT10210WV_WH) Under Counter Freezer

Hi there,I purchased a Zanussi (ZFT10210WV_WH) Under Counter Freezer in October 2018 from AO.com. The freezer has started showing a red light and beeping, indicating a temperature issue. If I silence the alarm it eventually goes off (after a long while) only to start again. I have been through the trouble shooting on the website (checking door seals, etc.) and all seems to be okay. The food is still frozen, but it is definitely not as cold as it was before.The freezer has only had light domestic use, and has been cared for (not overloaded, or pushed up against a wall).
JA: How old is your Zanussi freezer?
Customer: 19 months
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 4 days, have checked door seals, etc.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not really

Hello, Can you pull the unit off the wall, feel the compressor( Black steel ball) if it is running? Vibrating, Hot to touch?,(Be careful, it could be too hot to handle), is the fan (If it has) near the compressor running? Is the condenser coil dirty?

thanks.

Please ignore the phone service offer..…It is not me who initiate it but the site…but if you really want a phone call…please let me know. I only do phone call for USA customers but viber, FB messenger, or FaceTime for customers outside of USA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi there (cool name BTW) - the compressor is fairly hot, there is no fan, and everything is very clean. I have taken a photo and can send it to you if that helps (I ma in the UK and have just downloaded Viber - I don;t use FB)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the warning light is off at the moment

Thanks. Is the compressor vibrating? Does you unit looks like this? Please see attached picture? if it is, It looks like it has a fan inside the grill?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is not vibrating, and the unit is similar - how do I upload a picture?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry - it is vibrating, fairly gently - I cannot see a fan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my unit has fewer components that the one in your picture

Ok...so no fan but vibrating. use the paper clip icon if we have the same flat form. Please see atatched. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have the option to add a file, but here is a link to the image in Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M5pJFFgJfWmYu0WVne48MLAD1eTnsk_r/view?usp=sharing

Ok. Thanks for the picture. Can you feel the top most coil of the condenser, the black grill at the back, feel if it is hot or warm, then lowest pipe in the coil, how does it feel as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the big black grill is cool all the way down, the black pipe at the bottom is slightly warmer, but only just
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have just noticed that some ice has formed at the very bottom of the freezer - obviously slightly defrosted and refrozen. The light is still off and all seems to be working okay ATM

This is already sounding like a coolant leak or refrigerant gas leakage. The condenser coil should be hot at the top and gradually becomes warm up to the bottom pipe, if the unit is full of refrigerant. This would explain the poor cooling inside the frezer. it will just take a couple of weeks before the whole freezer wuld no longer cool because the refrigerant could be empty by then.

Is there a fan inside the freezer?..is it still running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is a fan inside at the top / back - it turns off when I open the door & starts again when I shut it

Ok. at least the fan is still running. You can try defrosting the unit first in order to melt the ice you saw forming at the lower portion of the freezer, unplug it for 2 hours with the door open, then plug it back and observe. If still it will not cool down, then the problem is it lack gas, and this is not DIY. You will need to call a licensed tech to do the job. it might be more economical to just buy a new freezer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anyway I can check for a coolant / gas leak?

The system is sealed and you will need a gage manifold. A tool that we use to check for gas levels in the system.

That is why I am just relying on the temperatures of the pipes.

Do you have any other question? I will log off for a while and be back after 8 hours.

If you do, just post them here and I will answer them as soon as I log back in.

Thank you for using just answer.

Please stay safe.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks for your help

You're very much welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.

Please do not forget to click ”Finish conversation with expert” . Thanks