Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Have a zanussi fridge and it seems to have turned off. The

Hi..have a zanussi fridge and it seems to have turned off. The light is off and the hum has gone. I have tried switching on and off at the mains
JA: Do you know the model of your Zanussi fridge? How old is it?
Customer: It's a standing fridge freezer built in. Not sure on the model, it says a class on one of the shelves. I believe the flat was built in 2013 so maybe it was new then
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: About 15 minutes. I have tried switching it off at the mains and on again, and tried the trip switch. No other appliances have power issues. The red light/switch at the top of the fridge can be turned on still
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Hmm only thing I can think of is when I opened it the dial was turned almost to zero or maybe zero in the fridge. I think it had been knocked down accidentally. But turning it back up doesn't work. The fridge was working half an hour ago

Can you post the model number please.

Also has the light in the fridge gone off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Daniel. Not sure how to see the model number, it's built into the cabinets
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the light has gone off. But the red light switch at the top can still be turned on and off

If you look inside the fridge behind the salad box the model details will be in there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Type: b256
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model: zbb28440sa

Thanks for that.

When you say the red light at the top of the fridge do mean the switch thats on the side of the light fitting comes on when you press it?

If you turn the dial from 0 on do you hear a clicking noise?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does click

Ok so if that light is coming on then we can rule out the power supply.

If nothing is coming on then its normally the thermostat that causes this but it doesnt normally effect the light in the fridge.

Have you removed the bulb to see if its blown?

As to the thermostat you need to remove the light cover and you will see the screw holding the light fitting on.

Remove this and then pull out from the back and the front of the thermostat housing will pull off from there.

Then you can see the thermostat from there.

Make sure its unplugged and then you can remove it.

You will see 3 tags on there marked 3,4 and 6.

You need a test meter and check between 3 and 4 and see if theres contonuity. If there isnt then the thermostat is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Check that if you can and see what you find from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oooh it looks like it is the bulb. Just took it out and it looks like the filament is gone

Ok that could explane why the light isnt working.

But that doesnt stop the compressor from coming on. So if its not running and there no cooling in there then check the thermostat if you can and see what you find from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you. Checked at the bottom of the freezer though and still cool air coming from the vents there

Ok is the fridge still cold?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It still is now and he freezer still seems frozen

Ok hopefully then its just the bulb.

Keep an eye on it and see how it goes as if its still cold and the freezer is frozen then the compressor must be running still.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Daniel. Much appreciated

Your welcome.