canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My dishwasher fails to empty after programme has finished,

Customer Question

Hi my dishwasher fails to empty after programme has finished, have checked water pump impeller and it appears ok, however all I have done is made sure impeller runs freely, cannot check if there are any kinks in outlet pipes, have cleaned all filters. I believe that I need a service, although I don’t know if there is a service plan in existence
JA: What's the brand and model of your dishwasher? How old is it?
Customer: 5 years old see no65e001gb/06 type56Pis fd9029 this is all the info I have.
JA: How long has this been going on with your dishwasher? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As in first message have cleaned filters checked water pump impeller, impeller running freely problem has occurred twice in the last 2 weeks and once 18 months ago
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really I would like to have a service plan anyway if that is possible
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.

There are several reasons that the dishwasher will not drain. There could be a blockage in the filter or the hose. Some dishwasher drain hoses have a check valve in them that can be removed from the end of the hose. If you have recently installed or replaced a garbage disposal then be sure that the cap was removed from the disposal barb where the dishwasher drain connects. Sometimes the entire cap has not been removed so be sure there is not a partial cap still in there. If the drain hose is not configured properly that can cause this too. The drain hose should come through the cabinet very high to prevent the sink from backing up in the dishwasher. Regular dish soap residue can cause blockages too. If you see suds in the water in the dishwasher then that is pretty strong evidence that there is regular dish soap residue which could be from pre-soaking dishes before adding them to the dishwasher or from the low drain hose and the dish water backing up into the dishwasher drain hose. The issue also could be related to a blockage in the drain pump or a failure of the drain pump. When there is water that has not drained out from the dishwasher always start a cycle then cancel it and allow the cancel to complete. Do not remove the filter unless there is no water in the dishwasher. If there is debris in the undrained water in the dishwasher then removing the filter may allow the debris to get into the pump and damage the pump or restrict it. When you start a cycle then cancel it and allow the cancel to complete (about 2 minutes) that should drain the water out and allow you to clean the filter out without allowing any debris to get past the filter. Otherwise the issue may be a broken impeller on the drain pump or a failed drain pump that needs replacing.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will have to check tomorrow as I have to go out, will contact you again tomorrow, however I would like a service anyway how cold this be arranged ?
We do not offer service so if it's under warranty then you'll have to contact the manufacturer. If it is not under warranty then any local appliance repair provider can offer repair.