Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My tv wouldn’t connect to my bt box with hdmi but does with

Customer Question

My tv wouldn’t connect to my bt box with hdmi but does with a scary cable but I can’t get sound. At the start it shows surr
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: surround sound and the speaker with the line through it
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: everything I can% on start up with the hdmi it shows by warm up but then just cuts out. The scary sound or mute is always there. It’s a second hand tv but was working when given to me
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The tele hummus when not on mute
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s abeko 40
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

This has the indications of faulty cables. How long ago was the TV working with the BT box? What is the make and model of the TV?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s a beko 40. It’s not a a cable issue as I’ve changed them both from another system and they’re all working on it.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Cancel any phone call
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

Rule #1 of fault-finding is that it's impossible to say categorically what is not the cause of the problem until you know what is the cause.

When you say "another system", what does that mean?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Another tv and sky box. I also bought a new full scarf cable
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Scart
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

OK. So how long ago was the TV working with the BT box?

And when was the SCART interface on the secondhand TV last known to be working?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It was working before I picked it up and took it home. It wasn’t in a b t box but was in sky.
The cables all work and when the tv is connected by scart it shows by logo and runs through set up then stops. With scary it runs everything except sound however it hums when sound is on and goes silent when you push the mute button
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

OK. So, to summarise:

1. The TV has never knowingly worked with this (or any) BT box.
2. The TV has never worked with the HDMI cable that you're using.
3. The HDMI cable has worked, but you haven't explained how you've tested it.
4. The TV has never knowingly worked with this SCART cable.
5. The SCART cable has worked, but you haven't explained how you've tested it.

Unless you start with things that are known to work with each other, everything is suspect.

I don't know if you're aware that not all TVs are compatible with all sources. HDMI isn't as simple as many people think. Even a brand new cable is unproven until the moment that you have it working, and quality of cable matters; it's possible to create a problem between two devices that are otherwise communicating merely by introducing a sub-standard cable.

Regarding the SCART cable, this is an S-video analogue interface; you say that the cable is working but it clearly isn't, so it's one end or the other, or it's the cable.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok so let me help you there. So I’ve used both scart and hdmi cables on other TVs. I’m currently connected to the b t box also with a small tv which provides the sound while I watch the beko . So you’re right it’s one end or the other and the small tv is doing both sound and vision so it’s not the b t box and as I know the cables carry both sound and vision I deduce that it’s not them. And when I add in the fact that the tv starts up with a visual that shows the mute symbol and surround sound and that it goes from a gentle buzz to silent when I mute the tv I think it might be a question for you - do you know how I might unmute the surround sound? It’s not obvious on the hand set in fact nowhere can I find the surround sound setting.
Trust this assists.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

You say "It’s not the b t box".

I don't share your certainty, but if you say so then it must be the TV or the cable.

You say that "the cables carry both sound and vision I deduce that it’s not them".

I don't share your certainty, but if you say so then it must be the TV.

If it's the TV, then it's either faulty, or it's not compatible with the BT box. Since this isn't a new TV, I wouldn't have any expectations of it working, and you have no recourse to a retailer or, unless it's under warranty, to the manufacturer.

If it were my TV I'd take it back to the seller and ask them to demonstrate it with a SCART source and an HDMI source. If it works with a SCART source then you have a gigantic mystery. If it works with an HMDI source then you have an incompatibility. Either way, I'd abandon it and buy a new TV with a nice new warranty.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you think I should pay £5 for that advice? I know I have a huge mystery that’s why I tried you. Please arrange a refund to my account. Many thanks Tim
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

You aren't listening to the advice. I recommend that you don't classify anything as fault-free until you've found the fault. You want some kind of magic fix, but I've given you the pragmatic solution.

I cannot arrange a refund, but are you offering a refund for my time?

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

If you want to ask Customer Service for a refund, please see the following page:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Doesn’t your service offer a refund if you can’t resolve the problem? I don’t believe you’ve told me anything I wasn’t aware of. I’m grateful for your attempts but perhaps I’ll address my concern to the justanswer operators.
Regards Kevin
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

Don't take this the wrong way, but throughout you haven't been reading my posts carefully enough. There are no spurious words. Here's a recap of the most important points that I think you missed.

1. welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer
2. If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it.
3. What is the make and model of the TV?
4. Rule #1 of fault-finding is that it's impossible to say categorically what is not the cause of the problem until you know what is the cause.
____

If you want a glimpse of how complicated HDMI is, see this page.