JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Siemens KA90NVI20G fridge freezer which has started

Customer Question

Hi I have a Siemens KA90NVI20G fridge freezer which has started making a very loud noise. It was intermittent every 2 mins or so for half a minute or so, but is now constant.
It stops for 10 secs when you open and shut the doors, but then starts again. The noise is like a very loud rattle.
When you open the doors the noise loudly and slowly grinds to a halt.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  JamesI replied 14 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your appliance, I know this must be frustrating. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
To help me answer your question please can you confirm the noise goes away if you open either fridge or freezer door or just one of them?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Strangely it goes away when you open either door.
Expert:  JamesI replied 14 days ago.

Ok, when was the appliance last defrosted?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It doesn’t need defrosting. This model defrosts itself.
Expert:  JamesI replied 13 days ago.

Where the defrost element fails ice can build up, I think the noise you are hearing is the fans hitting frost or ice in the rear duct, as when the doors are opened the fans stop running.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I see, thanks James. So I would need to get the defrost element fixed?
Expert:  JamesI replied 13 days ago.

Potentially, my suggestion is you do a manual defrost and see if the sound goes away if it does then then most likely the cause is a build of up ice, and if the fault comes back days\weeks later then you would be 75% sure the fault is with defrost element, which means removing the rear panel to get to the element.