KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We've had a neff double oven since 2003 model U1661 i think,

Customer Question

We've had a neff double oven since 2003 model U1661 i think, my wife has only ever used the small top oven and when this stopped heating i replaced the dual element in it thinking this would be the problem but still not working. The lamp and display stlll work. I then turned on the bottom oven thinking this would work for our sunday roast tomorrow but although initially the fan started and oven heated after about a minute it tripped the main consumer switch, after resetting the trip and attempting again the fan would not start and heater would not operate and tripped again. Can you diagnose the problem?
JA: How old is your Neff oven?
Customer: we bought it new in 2003
JA: How long has this been going on with your Neff oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's never previously tripped the consumer unit , but we have only ever used the small top oven. I have just, about an hour ago, replaced the dual element in the top oven.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no it's worked perfectly for approx 17 years and i have only replaced the oven lamp .
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer … my name is ***** ***** I will help you today!

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please provide its complete model number (from the label/rating plate inside the door)

Please DO NOT ACCEPT the PHONE CALL request.

That is auto generated and not sent by me.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
U1661N0GB/02 FD8201 HBB-AP59-8.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Although the fan doesn’t often work when first switched on if turned to another setting it always works until it trips after a minute or so
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
A code 444 displays on top oven

444 indicates lock program initiated.

Use selector switch back and forth from fan oven to conventional oven 5 times until 333 is displayed.

Then try again and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't understand your reply. The dual oven has two displays,the small top oven that shows the 444 on the right side, but has no fan symbol and doesn't have a fan. The main oven has its display on the left side and the first symbol is a fan which doesn't come on when operated, but if you turn it to another symbol it does work without heat. Which display are you asking me to use as i say the top/small oven has no fan?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I pressed the "call back" feature by mistake, please don't call back as i don't want to be billed for it.

Try it on top oven first and it should work.

You have to turn the selector switch back and fort 5 to 7 times.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you mean turn from one setting to the next and back again 5-7 times or through the entire different settings and back again 5-7 times?

Yes different setting

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have tried switching 5-7 times on small oven without any change to the 444 when switching mains on and then back on, it still displays 444.

OK, this indicates thermostat is faulty and will need replacement.

Are you willing to carry out repair yourself ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if you give instructions

OK and can you test the thermostat and control with a multimeter before replacement ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
where is the thermostat?, please give instructions.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 9 days ago.

Please check the Image attached, can you test that part and let me know what reading you get ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Kevin, what am i testing for, is it 240volts or continuity? I have to go out now for an appointment, I will get back to you later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. regards John

If the ohms reading on this sensor is between 1000-1100 ohms then this is fine.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Kevin,I am a bit confused as the plan I have printed of is of the bottom (main oven) where as the error code 444 shows on the top oven display. I turned the main oven (fan) on just now and it immediately tripped the house electrics. After resetting the trip, i again, switched on the fan oven which started the fan and heating for about 30 seconds before tripping again. Are the two ovens independent with separate thermostats etc? It seems i might have two problems, from new my wife only used the top oven until it failed earlier in the week,we then tried to use the main oven for the first time since new. I am know off to doctors for 30 minutes and after my brother( an electrician) is coming to measure the Ohms as your instruction. I will be in touch later this morning if you have any further instructions in view of this e mail please send them. regards john
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Kevin Ohms reading about 50, we think bottom elements are shorting so my brother has taken element home to dry out in his oven, didn't find the plan much good without parts identification, john
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 8 days ago.

Hi, sorry just checked your messages.

Ohms reading for which element is 50 ?

Can you guys also test the thermostats ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The 50 Ohms was the thermostat we think but couldn't be sure without proper identification, does it loop in one side and out the other?

Which thermostat ? The one marked in the image sent earlier ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i think so, did we have to take it out?

Yes it is located inside the rear of the appliance.

That sensor should read around 1000-1100 ohms.