Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have bought a new fan motor for my oven followed the

Customer Question

I have bought a new fan motor for my oven followed the guidelines but no power to the new motor. There is power to the appliance
JA: Is your oven gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: Electric. 5. Years.
JA: How long has this been going on with your oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fan required a tap to start it up, so I purchased a new motor from hotpoint it seems a little different. I have put all the corresponding wires back in place but now light comes on for the oven
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just what I have done wrong. The oven light does not come on but there’s power to the unit because the clock comes on also the grill works
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I need quite a bit of information from you before I can suggest a course of action.

Firstly, please provide the make and complete model number of the oven.

Also, could you clarify the behaviour of the light - you said that it comes on, but in the next paragraph you said that the light doesn't come on.
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hotpoint fan oven DBS539CXS
The oven light never came on only the clock light. I took the fan motor out removed the 3 spade ends put the new motor back in attached the spade ends turned the mains back on nothing worked only the clock and grill. I swapped the spade ends over but to no avail.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Please could you attach photos of the terminals on the old motor, and the same on the new motor. Also, what is the part number of the motor that you bought?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (6P7STPM)
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. Bear with me while I digest your information...

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you have an answer yet it can't be that difficult
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

I didn't say that it was difficult. Please keep your posts respectful.

The Hotpoint parts site shows a motor that's identical to your old one, unlike the new one.

What I would do it test both the old and new motors by rigging up a supply.

How many connections are there to the motor? I would expect two, but you said "all".

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Apologies for my attitude.
Thank you for your time in this matter. I will have to exchange the motor with the one you have showed me. However when I put the original one back that didn't work either. I will be contacting an electrician tomorrow. There
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There are 3 terminals but as you can see from the picture not in the same place
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your gracious apology - I value it.

It's a pity to have to consult an electrician. If you want to step just slightly outside your comfort zone, and if it's not extremely urgent to get it fixed, I'm happy to give you guidance in testing the motor(s) safely.

One more question - are there three leads connecting to three different terminals on the motor? If so, could you attach a photo showing how there were connected to the old motor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you I don't mind stepping out my comfort zone Sir eveyday is a school day. There is power at the main terminal point has the picture shows. Not sure if the wires are on the correct terminals either way round it does not work
With respect is it worth testing the motors if the has the oven element won't heat up.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello Tim
Will you replying please has I have the oven out in the kitchen still ??
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

I've been away from my desk intermittently, and fielding many questions in parallel, so I apologise for the delay.

I'm curious about the mention of the oven element not heating up. Could you expand on that?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Before I removed the old fan motor everything worked the fan had to be tapped to make it work. The grill works but neither the top oven or the main do.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

OK. So either a new fault has arisen, or a latent fault has emerged. For example, if the function selector switch is not providing power to the fan or the element that you face the symptoms that you have.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Tim
It seems really strange that all I did was remove a few screws 3 spade end connections and it all went wrong. Thank you for your time in this .matter I have an electrician coming tomorrow. Take care and stay safe Sir
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 13 days ago.

I completely agree, but I would say that most faults products strange behaviour. Things get especially strange when there are two faults, but I hope your electrician can home in on the problem quickly.

BTW, for your safety, I recommend that you throw away the neon screwdriver and instead buy one of these.
.