Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Zanussi Washer/Dryer (ZWD71460CW) that had an

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi Washer/Dryer (ZWD71460CW) that had an intermittent fault that seems to be now permanent/growing more frequent. It sounds like when it is trying to draw water into the machine it just stops after a few seconds (water is flowing in), it then tries again for a couple seconds and stops again at which point it pauses the programme. If I select drain a similar issue occurs, it sucks out the water for a couple seconds and stops, then tries again and stops. The issue has arisen previously and was solved by myself draining the machine manually using the tap on the bottom right (after which the machine runs fine) or recently has solved itself if I've left it for a day.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I'm not clear whether the intermittent behaviour is affecting water being admitted or pumping water out - you've mentioned both. Please could you explain again?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Tim, it seems to be affecting both. When a washing programme starts it seems to admit water for a couple seconds and then abruptly stop, try again and stop and then pause the programme. If I turn the knob selector to off and then to another programme the same thing happens.In order to remove this water I then select the "Drain" function and the same things occurs, the pump expels some water and then stops, the tries again for a shorter period and stops again and then the Drain programme pauses. The only way to remove the water is via the emergency drain. The drain is clear of debris.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 18 days ago.

Ah I see. That's a bit baffling on the face of it, as I can't think of a lone fault that would cause both effects. So I suspect two faults. Did the two symptoms start at the same time, or is one older than the other?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Tim, the washing programme was the first one that i noticed, but can't say for certain if the drain issue occured after or at the same time. What confuses me most is that this is the 4th time it had occurred and each time previously it has come right either with some input from myself or by itself, after this the machine will work fine for a number of weeks inbetween reoccurences. I have some videos of each issue:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QgOa9xjavhWD2QKHLW7WUbo97TB51EXo/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1QnXnEMlen7zRiU-11iyJwT5E52n3_Ak_/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Tim, the washing programme was the first one that i noticed, but can't say for certain if the drain issue occured after or at the same time. What confuses me most is that this is the 4th time it had occurred and each time previously it has come right either with some input from myself or by itself, after this the machine will work fine for a number of weeks inbetween reoccurences. Here are some videos of it happening: (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QgOa9xjavhWD2QKHLW7WUbo97TB51EXo/view?usp=sharing) & (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QnXnEMlen7zRiU-11iyJwT5E52n3_Ak_/view?usp=sharing)
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 18 days ago.

Apologies for the delay. What you're describing is an intermittent fault, not a fault that is fixed and reoccurs. I'll watch the videos now...

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Tim, any thoughts?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 17 days ago.

My humble apologies. I watched the videos yesterday and thought I had replied, but clearly I didn't.

I don't have an instant explanation - the behaviour is odd. What I recommend is checking the condition and routing of the drain hose. Note that it's very important for the hose to rise to the height of the top of the machine, before dropping down again to connect to the waste system. Also, check the entire length for any sign of kinking.

I'd be interested to know if the drain hose goes into a standpipe, or clamps onto a spigot on a sink waste assembly.