How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Cooke Your Own Question
Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1027
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tim Cooke is online now

Can the GMS 120 Professional Detector locate stainless steel

This answer was rated:

Can the GMS 120 Professional Detector locate stainless steel wall ties in a cavity wall?
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Bosch Professional Stud Finder GMS 120 (max. detection depth wood/magnetic metal/non-magnetic metal/live cable: 38/120/80/50 mm, in cardboard box) [Energy Class A]
JA: What have you tried so far with your Bosch product?
Customer: I haven't bought it yet. I'll hire one if necessary to see if it will do the job. If it doesn't, what Bosch detector should I consider?
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good evening, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I think you'll the GMS 120 very unreliable for locating steel wall ties.

It can detect wires, and other metal objects such as pipes, but the area presented by the end-on view of a wall tie is extremely small, and the density change could well be insufficient.

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Many thanks Tim, your reply makes sense. Would a ‘stronger’ Bosch detector like the D-tect 120 or D-tect 150 SV wall scanners be adequate? If not, do you know of any other wall scanners that are suitable?

To be bluntly honest, I've never used any detector to try and find a wall tie. I've borrowed what I think was probably a D-tect 150, which I was told was very expensive, and it was effective at locating a cable at the time, but I don't find any of the relatively cheap units to be useful. I'm not saying that the D-tect 120 is no good - I haven't tried one, but anything sub-£100 I wouldn't waste time on.

Can you justify the cost of the D-tect 150? Do you have a lot of wall ties to find?!

TBH these days I would drill a hole and use an endoscope camera - they have massively increased in quality and decreased in price. They take a bit of mental adjustment to sometimes looking at something upside down, but I have one that I use for all kinds of (non-human) things.

Tim Cooke and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Tim, that’s fine. I actually bought a Side view rigid borescope to inspect the cavity but viewing field Is limited and it is also difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the SS ties. I’m planning structural alteration to part of the house & wanted to check the location & no. of ties. Based on 2 inspection holes, the ties are in pristine condition but the number of ties is difficult to quantify. A suitable scanner would be great (to reduce the number of inspection holes) but they are expensive. When builder starts, we can open up cavity in selected locations and install additional SS remedial ties as necessary.

Sounds like a plan :-)

Thank you for your rating, and your kind bonus :-)