Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an aeg double oven. The bottom oven works normally

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have an aeg double oven. The bottom oven works normally but the top one fuses the rcb in the fuse box. This happens irrelevant which setting (grill,fan etc) it is on. I replaced the termostat and the element but it still happeing. What do you think it can be?
JA: Do you know the model of your AEG oven? How old is it?
Customer: it looks fairly new, not sure about the model
JA: How long has this been going on with your AEG oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just bought a new house and it came with this oven
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: can't think of anything

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your oven. Lets see if i can help you on this.

Can you post the model number please.

Also which element is it you replaced?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i replaced the top oven element (in front of the fan) and please give me a moment to check model nr
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
model nr DC7003000M
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think you can help me?

Thanks for that. Yes i can help as im just typing the answer up so please give me a few minutes to type it up.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks

In the top oven you have 3 elements. You have the fan element, the grill element and the base element.

As you have replaced the fan element in there then we can rule that out.

So this just leaves either the grill element or the base element.

For this you need to pull the oven out from the unit and turn the power off.

Then remove the rear panel and there you will see the wiring to the elements.

Disconnect the wiring on the grill element and tape them up and then turn the oven back on and see if it stops tripping.

If it does then its the grill element at fault.

But if still tripping then do the same to the base element and see what you find.

Now most of the time for a tripping faut its one of the elements but the odd time if the elements are fine then the selector switch for the top oven can fail. If it is this you can usually see were its blown so check the switch on the top and see what you find from there.

But check the elements first as like i said most of the time for a tripping fault like this its one of the elements that causes this.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks. In this oven i can choose to switch on every element separately. Every single one caused the rcb to trip even though the other element was not activated. Do you think the fact that the element with the problem is still conected (even if its not switched on) will cause the oven to trip?

Yes you can control each element to come on on there own but they are still connected in series so if say the grill is faulty and you use the fan setting the wiring is still linked through the grill so it will pick up a short in there.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok.i'l try and see. Thanks for your help

Your very welcome.

Hopefully you can find the fault from there.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi again. Did as you told, but keeps on tripping (unless all three elements have neen disconnected). It seems to be that when the oven starts to heat up, something causes it to fuse the rcd
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Maybe it's worth pointing out that i had similar problems with the cooker hood this week, i called n electrician and he just disconnected it from the mains. He wasn't sure about the oven. It is unlikely a problem with the fuse box or wiring as the bottom oven works normally. Also the switch board is electronic so unlikely to be the culprit. Please kindly advise. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I meant the switchboard of the oven as you mentioned that maybe the problem

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If the bottom oven is working then its nothing to do with your electrics or fuse box as the fault will be in the oven.

Do you have an insulation tester?

As this is what we use to find earth faults like this as you can test the insulation of the elements as without this your are just trying to find the fault by disconnecting parts.

So if you disconnect the grill element and the base element but leave the fan element connected can you use the fan setting without it tripping?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It's me again. I tried doing the same with the fan (disconnected it from the back) and it still trips. It's just weird that the bottom oven works normally whereas the top one jumps the rcd when it gets hot (irrelevant what element i use). i have mentioned that the RCD also trips when i use the cooker hood (it is on a different circuit under the same rcd) Do you think that the rcd is faulty, and if yes, would you recommend me putting the oven on a different circuit avoiding the RCD (obviously by getting a proffesional electrician to do it fo rme) or simply replacing the RCD fuse in the consumer unit? Any other suggestion to solve this mystery?
Thank you very much for your kind advise
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
sorry, we have been in contact already regarding this matter, just wondering if you have anything else to add? MAny many thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ive been offf line over the weekend.

Going off what you say i would get an engineer in as they will have test equipment that can check for insulation faults in the oven and hoefully find the fault from there.

As i think you will need an insulation meter to check this rather then disconnecting parts as its a bit more of harder of a fault to find this.

I cannot see it being the rcd as you say it doesnt do it on the bottom oven so if it was the rcd i would have thought it would do it on this as well.