Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I've got a Sasung rz32m tall freezer. There's no rating

Hi. I've got a Sasung rz32m tall freezer. There's no rating plate on it and I want to know how many grams of r600a gas it takes. Can you advise please?
JA: Do you know the model of your Samsung freezer? How old is it?
Customer: 2017. Rz32m7120
JA: What have you tried so far with your Samsung freezer?
Customer: Its been stored and never worked. It's out of warranty but it only cools ever so slightly and I can hear trickling r600a through the evaporator coil. I think my attack is to recharge it but I don't know the weight it needs. Can you access that for me?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No that's my next step and I can't find that info. It would be amazing for me if you can

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

The amount and type of refrigerant is shown on the the rating plate.
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Tim.
Thanks for taking up the query but please do see the message that there is no rating plate!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's my problem! If you can source that info by means I have no access to that would be great. Thanks in advance

My humble apologies - you did say that already.

One difficulty is that this model could be using either R-600a or R-134a.

Even if there's no rating label inside the appliance, there should be a label on the compressor - have you looked there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah of course pal. It is indeed r600a

Cool. Is the quantity also given on the compressor? If not, then I might be able to find out, but probably not until Monday.

Or, you can use Samsung's rule of thumb, being 8g per cubic metre of volume of the room the appliance is in. For example, in a room that's 4m x 4m x 2.5m, you would need 320g of refrigerant. A common size of cannister is 300g, which is close enough to not matter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it isn't sadly. Monday's fine pal. The recharge kit from fleabay won't arrive til Tuesday I'm just pre-empting. Thanks. Speak Monday. Enjoy your weekend pal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ah ok cool well if you can't find the specifics then that's a great shout and at the very least I'll establish the compressors not f**ked, which I don't believe is. I actually think it's come out of the factory without enough charge, unusually. I'm assuming I am right in saying that it would most certainly have lost all charge by now after a good few days running if there was a leak?

I think you're right in saying that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok well if you can grab that Info for me on Monday then that would be awesome mate, thanks

Samsung are refusing to disclose the information. They have suggested that you call a company called Trio Domestic Appliances Ltd. The number is 01933 400590.

After some further nagging, they then said this:

The refrigerant is HFC-134a (1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane) you can order it here at https://refrigerantgas.eu/

After even more nagging, they said this:

"This amount is normally found on the model plate or manufacturer's label, and it is measured in grams or ounces. The amount ranges from less than 1 ounce in small refrigerators to more than 6 ounces, or from 28.35 grams to about 185 grams."

Please note that Samsung are taking no responsibility for anything you do with this appliance in terms of recharging it. I don't understand why they've quoted R134a and you say it's R600a but, given the danger inherent in using the wrong refrigerant, I'm duty-bound to advise you to get the recharging carried out by a qualified refrigeration engineer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for trying anyway Tim. I added some more whilst monitoring the current pull of the compressor so it wasn't anything outrageous. It's cooling fine now but I won't be happy til I can weigh it in properly. Maybe some time down the line I'll find what I'm looking for. Thanks for trying anyway. All the best

You're welcome. I hope it gives years of trouble-free service :-)