Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Zanussi TT 150-4s fridge. It came with the flat I

Hello. I have a Zanussi TT 150-4s fridge. It came with the flat I am renting. I have noticed the evaporator tray is full of dark water but I don't know how to remove it..or if indeed I can remove it. Can you help please - I don;t want to break anything. Thanks.
JA: How old is your Zanussi fridge?
Customer: I don't know. It came with the flat which I moved into in June
JA: The Appliance Technician can walk you through this; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your Zanussi refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Today is the first day I've cleaned it as there was a build up of ice at the back
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What is the best temperature setting for the fridge also please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know how long the tray has been filling. I tried pulling the tray out but it seems fixed fast.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The water is very dark in the tray so I imagine it's been like that for some time

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Are you getting a build up of water anywhere else?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think so. today was my first in cleaning the fridge and I pulled it out of it's space. build up of ice on back wall which I've removed and then I noticed the build up of dark water in drip tray
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I can empty the drip tray and know best temperature setting for fridge, I should be sorted.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Prefer to type

It's possible that it's a coincidence of timing, in that the tray filled just before you looked at it.

There's no reason why you can't just sponge it out. Are you concerned about any aspect of it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There seems to be a plastic lid over the water, so I can't get direct access to it. Do I just try and take the lid off?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
photo of tray
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you receive photo?

I was at lunch - apologies. I'll look at it now...

I can't see a lid in the photo - had you removed it?

It looks a bit manky; you can wear a washing-up glove if you want to, or wash your hands afterwards. Also I'm surprised by the quantity. It seems odd, but I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions at this early stage. If you empty it and it fills again then that would be cause for concern. Is there any recent event or action that has resulted in a lot of water going out of the drainage hole, like the inside of the fridge compartment being washed down?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when you look at the tray, there is what looks like an island in it with a knob in the centre. That is the lid. The bulk of the water is beneath it but there is an amount seeping into the sides of the tray, like a moat.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
or if not a lid it's a covering of some sort.

This is a particular style of container that I haven't seen first hand, but the principle is the same with all. If it's too awkward to sponge out, then use a turkey baster with a tube on the end to draw out the contents.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'll have to buy a turkey baster and attempt that method. it looks neither the tray or covering can be removed. a very awkward design.

You won't much like what I'm about to say, but I try and avoid working on any Zanussi appliance. They are truly awful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fridge came with the flat when I moved in last month. In fairness it's not been too bad - I just need to establish the best temperature setting....and hope the turkey baster works.

Let me know how you get on. This topic will stay open for many more days, so you can keep posting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i got the turkey baster and it was sucking up the liquid ok but as I pulled on the tray to try and give the baster more access, it actually came out. the knob on what I thought was the lid was actually a clip fastened onto the metal compressor below? it was just very stubborn to come out and the design was questionable. anyway, emptied and cleaned now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what I thought was more brown liquid under the 'lid' was actually the brown metal compressor under the tray. the two colours combined to make the problem seem bigger. anyway I don't think the tray had been emptied for a while hence the discolouration.

Good work! I'm glad to hear of that result :-)

It will be interesting to see if water collects rapidly, but it sounds as though there wasn't as much water as first thought.

Thank you for your rating :-)