JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My potterton gold combo HE boiler is showing fault e133 and

Customer Question

My potterton gold combo HE boiler is showing fault e133 and have tried resetting but nothing happened
JA: What happened just before your boiler displayed this message?
Customer: It’s a new flat and trying to turn on
JA: What have you tried so far with your boiler?
Customer: Trying the hot water and heating
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
When was the boiler last serviced?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just bought flat
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Is it a 24, 28 or 33 HE variant?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Don’t no
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry 24
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

The service manual for your boiler here shows on page 52 "E133 indicates that the gas supply has been interrupted, ignition has failed or the flame has not been detected."

Start by checking the gas meter has not run out of credit if a pay as you go meter, if the meter is supplying gas and you have a gas hob make sure your getting gas to other appliances.

Restart the boiler and see if you can hear clicking when the boiler starts up when you turn on the hot tap.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No clicking
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Ok that sounds like an ignition fault, the clicking is a sign of the sparks being generated to ignite the gas to form the pilot light. Since there is no ignition no flame is detected and hence the E133 fault code.

The fault is a hardware fault (most likely faulty electrode or PCB), you will need a gas safe engineer to attend, strip the boiler down and replace the part, then recommission.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
O dear
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Do let me know if you want me to recommend a local engineer.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 days ago.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is there not a button underneath the boiler to help ignite if it doesn’t come on or to ortomatically, I remember a potterton boiler I had that needed help sometimes?
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 days ago.

I imagine you are referring to a lockout switch but this boiler self resets on powering it off and back on.