KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My EcoBubble washing machine keeps stopping mid cycle. Each

Hi, my EcoBubble washing machine keeps stopping mid cycle. Each time this happens I have to drain the machine, as only then can I open the door and get my washing out. The second time this happened, I had an 'SE' flashing error on the screen which the manual says indicates a dirty debris filter (I have just cleaned it), or "make sure the drain hose is installed correctly" - but my machine hasn't been moved for 5 years+ so surely that can't be the problem?
JA: What device has a bad screen?
Customer: It is an EcoBubble washing machine and it doesn't have a bad screen!
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Samsung EcoBubble WF80F5E5U4W
JA: What have you tried so far with your Samsung product?
Customer: I have cleaned the debris filter, drained the machine (twice) and examined the inside of the drum to make sure nothing was caught in it (or in the rubber seal). All look good. I have read on a Samsung forum that an engineer had to come and replace the motherboard for another customer with a similar problem. I am not sure this is something my local appliance repair centre would be able to do, if that were the required fix.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think it's all covered here

Good afternoon,

Welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that must be.

5e/Se is draining fault.

This indicates the drain pump filter is clogged.

You may try this:

Unplug the appliance and remove the bottom front flap.

Then rotate the drain pump filter anti clockwise to open.

Clean it completely and make sure it is not clogged.

With your fingers check if impellor rotates.

Then tip the appliance against the wall or let someone hold it for you or lay it on its side, so you can access the drain pump from underneath.

Check all the hoses connected to the pump, make sure nothing is clogged in there and clean it.

Then reconnect everything and plug it back.

Then try any program and please let me know how it goes.

If the issue is still there then I am afraid the drain pump is faulty and will need replacement.

You may see automated adverts for phone support sent by website.

I am afraid, I am not available for phone call and we can continue via chat.

If you want phone support, please let me know and another expert may pick it up.

I am glad, I could help.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

I hope you have a great day.

It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have just managed to get the spin cycle to work. Does that mean it isn't the drain pump - or did I just get lucky this time? I have just cleaned the debris filter but will need my husband's help to carry out the other checks/fixes you have suggested. Is there a way I can come back to you directly in the next few days?

You may have got lucky as something may have stuck inside.

Yes you may let me know how it goes.

If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If I do need a new drain pump, is this something my local appliance repairer would be able to do or would I need to contact Samsung and get one of their technicians to do it? Thanks

I believe cleaning should solve this issue however, if you need a new drain pump anyone can easily replace it.

I am glad, I could help.

You're welcome.

Good Luck.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Oh, and also, you said 'check if impellor rotates'. What is the impellor - is that the white plastic thing at the back of the filter cavity? The troubleshooting section in my user manual said to check this wasn't impeded but I just looked at it (with a torch) and couldn't see anything in the way of it. Do I need to put my fingers in and try to turn it?

OK, that is fine then you may proceed to next steps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi again. I have just tried rotating the 'impellor' (white circular plastic thing at the back of the filter cavity with 4 spokes around it...?) using a screwdriver as my fingers won't reach that far in. Yes it does go round in both directions but only about a quarter turn each time. I don't know if this is how it should be, or whether the fact ot doesn't rotate freely and easily might indicate there is a problem behind it...?

The impellor should spin with some resistance, if it is not spinning then the pump will need replacement.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It is spinning with resistance, as you say. So maybe the problem was a one-off and something was indeed stuck which has now dislodged itself. I will try running another wash cycle and see how we get on when it gets to the drain part of the cycle. If it happens again, and we do need to disconnect the hoses from the drain pump, do you have a picture of what this looks like so we know we are disconnecting the correct part?! And also, are the hoses easy to disconnect and re-connect?

No, I am afraid I do not have the picture.

It is the hose that connects drum to pump.

You may try this as well to clean the drum:

Unplug the appliance and take a cloth, wipe inside the door, and clean the door seal.

After the cleaning is done, reconnect everything and plug it back.

Then use washing machine descaler.

Select an empty wash cycle on its hottest setting.

Let it complete and then wait for around 1 hour before opening the door.

Unplug it again and then clean the drain pump filter located at the bottom front of appliance and clean the drum and door seal.

Let this complete then, leave it unplugged few hours this time with door open.

The problem should now be resolved.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK so if I look on the underside of the washing machine, will it be obvious what the drain pump hose is? I am not sure if I will be able to know if it is blocked, if it isn't see-through. Should I use a long pipe-cleaner?

Yes, thats why I told you to remove those hoses and then clean it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK thanks. I will try another wash cycle first and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

Good Luck.