Christopher Coleman
Christopher Coleman, Owner at Big River Service Center with 40yrs experience
Experience:  Owner at Big River Service Center
66637759

The freezer part of My american fridge freezer is not

The freezer part of My american fridge freezer is not freezing the top two shelves. It is also collecting ice at the bottom and then leaking out of the freezer. Occasionally there is a banging noise coming from it. The fridge part seems to be to be too cold even though it is on the lowest level.
JA: What's the brand and model of your freezer? How old is it?
Customer: Daewoo DC and it is 10 years old. Sorry I don't know the model number.
JA: The Appliance Technician can help you find the model number for your freezer; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your Daewoo freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been going on for approx 6 months. We have pulled it out from the wall and switched it off and on.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No not that I can think of.

Your banging noise will be the ice that has built up rubbing against the fan. The cause of the ice buildup and water is that your defrost drain is clogged up. This is used to transport the frost/ice melt from the defrost element leaving it under the fridge in the evaporator pan. Clean the drain and you should be fine. The defrost is obviously working since you are getting water so I think it is going to be only the drain problem. Here is a good tutorial to clear and keep clear the drain: http://davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefrigdrainfix.htm

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where is the drain please ? Sorry I am a woman with no idea of how things work !!

Which DC do you have?