Paddy
Paddy, Handyman
Experience:  Experienced Landlord
109046513

Dyson DC25 stuck on upright, Purchased 2011, A few days, I

Dyson DC25 stuck on upright
JA: How old is your Dyson vacuum?
Customer: Purchased 2011
JA: How long has this been going on with your Dyson vacuum? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A few days
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can see it doesn't go back into the guides - underneath
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Anything else I can add to help diagnose?

Hi - Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Paddy and I will be your technician.

Do you still need help with your Dyson?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not for the moment

I will wait just message me when you are ready

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I want to know how to get to the mechanisms that allow the Dyson to lie flat. In the process I hope to learn what causes the malfunction, and thus fix it.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Paddy,
Are you able to assist me by showing me how to get to the mechanisms that allow the Dyson to lie flat? Wynn

Hi - There are a number of possible causes for your issue.

1. There is an object caught in the bend of the hose where the vacuum hinges
  2. There is a spring clip which catches

If you have checked the hose and there isn't any obstruction, then turn you vacuum over and to the left by the stabiliser wheel you will see a spring clip which moves over a plastic tab (see attached photo spring to the left tab to the right)

Using a screwdriver gently lift the spring clip several times to loosen and lubricate with silicon spray.

This should resolve you issue.

I hope it helps.

Paddy

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Paddy,
No object fouls the hose.
Turning it over does not show a match to your photos (thank you for these, by the way).https://photos.app.goo.gl/dhtTTHUFmyUZmrne9
This is a link to a photo of the underside of our Dyson.
It's serial number is:
482-UK-B 13697
Which may be of use to you. Wynn
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I replied using my phone, and enclosing a link to a photo of the underside.
I hope this got to you.

Hi - Wynn bear with me for 10 minutes while I have a look

Hi - this repair sounds easier than it actually is.

Either side there is a little metal pin which runs along a channel, it can slip out of the channel and you will need to use a screwdriver to gently ease the stabiliser wheel out to get the pin back into the channel. This can happen either or both sides and the holes the pin can get stuck in.

I have attached another photo - sorry about the quality.

Paddy

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That's a step onward, but not complete, Paddy.
I think you mean the pin embedded on either side of the red paddle which sits in a groove or channel, one left one right.
What I've noticed now, is that the pin disengages from the notch which holds it upright easily, and slides back to just before the end of the curve of the groove - about 1cm before the end of the curve. This is where the handle stops. I can see that there are several centimetres left for the pins to run, but can't see what is stopping it doing so. Wynn

Hi - has there been any repairs to you vacuum recently?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No

If you lay the vacuum down on its front and try the recline how much movement do you have in the stabiliser wheels at the back?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The stabiliser wheels seem to be unaffected - when the red paddle is pushed, the stabiliser wheels to back to the position I'd expect them to - it is the extra movement to make it lie flat for going under things which is not available.

Can you see from either side (front or back ) anything obstructing the red paddle?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No. the red paddle moves freely

So the stabiliser wheels have some movement, the paddle moves freely that leaves something obstructing the hinge itself I assume there is not any obvious broken plastic around that area.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Paddy,
There is no obvious broken plastic, as you say.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I suppose it is a process of getting to the hinge, and looking there?

To help further I would need it on a bench in front of me to have eyes on.

I wish I could be more help.

Paddy

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What you say seems final to me.
Is that what you mean?
Are you able to recommend a website with a .pdf I could use as a guide to strip down the machine?

They are pretty easy to strip down - but a bit involved to explain through messages, I would suggest that if you are going to remove parts.

1. Photograph each stage so you know how parts fit back
  2. There are different sized screws for different places - keep track and keep separate
  3. To the left of the ball is where all the electrical components including a switch care should be taken no to losen or break components or connections
  4. Always disconnect from the power socket

Unfortunately there aren't any detailed reference manuals apart from the user manual which came with the vacuum.

There are videos of the machines being dismantled on Youtube link to one below, others are available.

https://youtu.be/dR3BgGMOWiU

Paddy

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
OK. Thanks Paddy.
You've been a good help, even if we've not been able to crack the problem. W