JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a rangemaster kitchener 100 and I have a problem with

Hello. I have a rangemaster kitchener 100 and I have a problem with the rear gas ring. I push in the knob and it ignites the ring but as soon as I let the knob go the gas stops and the fing goes out. Please help
JA: How old is your Rangemaster appliance?
Customer: 5 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Rangemaster appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: about 3 weeks and sometimes if I wiggle the knob it stays on but not often.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If i hold in the knob the gas ring works as it should. But goes out as soon as I release it.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
What is the model number of your appliance. as the Kitchener 100 is a range of models?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry i don't know the model number and I am at work so i can not check.

Ok, without the model number I cant advise on the part number you need.

However to confirm only one ring is affected the others are ok?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
only 1 ring

The oven also works ok, its just the one burner on the hob?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the oven and grill are electric but the 4 other rings are working fine

When holding down the gas knob for say 20 seconds once lite does it still go out, or have you only held it down for a few seconds and then seen it extinguish?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
no i have held it in for 5 minutes and it still goes out when I let it go. Whilst holding it in i have full gas and it adjustable.

Based on the symptoms you have the fault is caused by a faulty thermalcouple, this detects the presence of a flame and makes sure gas only goes to the burner when there is a flame, by depressing the knob it bypasses the device to allow gas to go to the burner in order to ignite, and forms a safety device encase the gas knob got knocked on in error and the burner failed to ignite.

When this thermalcouple or some times called flame sensor device fails its telling the hob there is no flame so turning off the gas when the knob is depressed.

Based on this I would be confident in saying a new thermalcouple is required, however as its a gas appliance, you would need a gas engineer to attend strip down the hob and replace the part.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok many thanks