Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I would like to ask a question about a black and decker

Hi, Hi, I would like to ask a question about a black and decker drill
JA: Do you know the model of your BLACK+DECKER drill? How old is it?
Customer: It is quite old, borrowed from my father in law, model number DNJ52 HAMMER DRILL
JA: What have you tried so far with your BLACK+DECKER drill?
Customer: I am trying to add a drill bit to in in order to use it. The original chuck key is not in the box. I have bought a universal 10mm one from b&q but it doesn't seem to fit even though the drill stares 3/8 which seems to be 10mm
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have never used a drill before, I have read a lot online and watched you tube videos but, you will need to Sorry need to tell me stuff in simple terms

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today. There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

There are different chuck keys, both in terms of the size of the plain round spigot that goes into the hole in the chuck, but also the pitch and angle of the teeth that engage with the chuck. Even if you bought the correct key for that drill, there's no guarantee that the chuck hasn't been replaced over the years. The best thing you can do it take the drill to a good tool shop and get a matching key from them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok,thanks, ***** ***** say good tool shop, do you have any suggestions? Only I'm thinking somewhere like b&q might not be so good.

B&Q sells some tools, but it's very much not a tool shop.

To suggest somewhere I would need to know roughly where you are in the UK.

Thank you for your rating.