Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

WDU28560GB/02 washer dryer won’t start. Bosch. 2 years. The

WDU28560GB/02 washer dryer won’t start.
JA: Who makes your washer-dryer? How old is it?
Customer: Bosch. 2 years.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch washer-dryer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The manual states that the error symbol means the water level is too high but there is no water visible. The manual says to start the spin programme but no programmes can be started.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The error symbol is a circle with a padlock.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today. There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Is the circle_padlock symbol flashing?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Tim. Yes it is flashing and also beeping.

Is it flashing fast or slowly?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Fast. For about 5 seconds after I try and start a programme. I’ve tried all programmes and this always happens. Also tried turning it off at the wall. There is no water in the drum.

Hm. This is a problem with either the water level sensor or the PCB itself. If you feel like opening up the machine, with the power off, it's worth checking that all the connectors to the PCB are on securely.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What is the PCB? How would I check this?

Bosch calls it an Operating Module". Click here to see this exploded diagram - see item 0103.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
is it right behind the front panel?

Yes correct.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You also mention the water level sensor. Is that something I could check? I forgot to mention, it may not be relevant but in the last successful wash, the machine was making a rattling noise, almost like something heavy/hard was in the drum.

The trouble with rattling noises is that they can be caused by anything from a loose button to a loose component. However, I doubt a loose component because the machine would misbehave consistently, whereas you appear to have an intermittent symptom. Do you have any young children who might have dropped an object into the soap dispenser tray?

To stand any chance of getting at an object in the outer drum, you'll have to remove the door seal.

If the machine is still within its warranty period I'd get Bosch to attend and fix it. If outside warranty you can still book a fixed-price repair. But I would check all the connectors first, as mentioned.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It isn’t intermittent, it’s been like this since the last successful wash (the noisy one). No children, also it didn’t sound like a small object like a coin. It sounded quite noisy, like something heavy was in the drum. Still under warranty but they can’t get an engineer out for weeks so we are trying to self-help!

Intermittent was probably the wrong word, but I was referring to the false high water level indication.

If you power off and withdraw the machine, then remove the door seal and tip the machine forward, you can rotate the inner drum by hand and see if you can catch sight of the mystery object.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I remove the seal? Do you think the noise is connected to the fault? The machine has had several faults in the past, all relating to the dryer sensor (with a different error). Could the two be connected?

Were those several faults fixed?

I have to go to bed now, but I'll send you some information tomorrow.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They were fixed by the engineer ‘cleaning’ the sensor. On the last visit he told us to do a series of drum cleans using washing machine cleaning fluid. He said it might need a new “NTC dryer sensor” if that didn’t work. The dryer has been better since but still a bit erratic. Thanks, ***** ***** to hear from you tomorrow.

I would go with the engineer's recommendation to fit a new NTC sensor.

Regarding the door seal, it's faster to explain the method via the following video. Please watch it and ask any questions that you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpBQTPmyNs

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Tim, thanks for the advice. We’ve decided to wait for the engineer rather than start dismantling bits ourselves. One final question if I may, have you any idea how likely/unlikely it is that Bosch will replace the machine/is there anything we can do to achieve this? As I mentioned above, this is the third or fourth time we’ve had to call them out for a machine that’s less than 2 years old- seems like there are lots of faults with it and it’s very frustrating having to wait weeks (sometimes up to 3 weeks) for an engineer to visit- long time to be without a washing machine!

I can't speak for Bosch, but my gut feel is that they are unlikely to replace the machine. Of all the manufacturer's, this is one of the few that put a lot of effort into designing a machine that's maintainable.

Having said that, if you're reaching the end of the warranty period then act promptly if the machine isn't behaving perfectly after the next visit - don't put up with anything that's erratic. Make it clear to the attending engineer, in a nice way, that you're patience is being tested, and seek their opinion about the probably of getting a fault-free machine.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

You're very welcome :-)