KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My fridge is making a very loud noise every time I close the

Customer Question

Good morning, my fridge is making a very loud noise every time I close the door. It's a noise like a motor.
JA: How old is your fridge? Does the noise get louder or softer when changing the temperature setting?
Customer: It's about 8 to 10 years old. The noise doesn't change. Is a constant noise
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It started this morning. It's a fridge freezer. It seems it's all working fine. The problem is the door
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The noise comes at intervals even with the door open
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 15 days ago.

Good morning,

Welcome to justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance. Hopefully, we will resolve this immediately. Please provide its make and complete model number.

I am afraid, I am not available for phone call and we can continue via chat.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Kevin, it's a zanuzzi fridge/freezer
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm sorry, but can't find the manual

Thank you, ***** ***** I understand. If you don’t mind, please allow me a few minutes to check its schematics and then type the answer.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance. The noise that you hear could be coming from fan hitting ice and/or fan motor is faulty and will need replacement. Please try this:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 24-36 hours. Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature. The problem should be resolved. However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with the fan motor that is faulty and will need replacement. The cost of repair will be around £70 + repair charges.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is no build up ice in the fridge

Yes not inside the fridge however, when you remove the rear wall you may see ice and fan. You can then replace the fan from there.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What do I have to do to have it repaired? I can't afford to wait 24h before taking some action

If you want to do it yourself unplug the appliance and remove the rear wall, then use hair dryer to thaw the ice. You will then see fan motor (disconnect its connections, one at a time then reconnect). After this is done, reconnect everything and plug it back. Then try again and see if it works. Alternatively, you may contact Zanussi and book a fixed price repair.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask! I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.com today. It has been a pleasure to assist you, have a great day.