Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a Stanley Superstar SF. Is there any way we can use

Customer Question

We have a Stanley Superstar SF. Is there any way we can use it for only the cooking facility with no water heating?
JA: Is your Stanley range gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: It is just under 30 years old and solid fule.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Stanley range? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We continue to use the cooker but need the central heating renewed. We are considering air source heating but want to keep the cooker for cooking facility only. Is this possible?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need to know if possible and how?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today. There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

I will just review your question and hopefully will be able to reply with the information you need.

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 12 days ago.

In effect you want to operate the Super Star SF in summar mode, but all year round. This is possible, but you will need to provide a heat sink to dissipate excess energy from the boiler. It isn't possible to modify the SF to behave in any other way.

The heat sink could be, for example, an additional coil in the hot water tank, or a separate hot water tank.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What size would the tank have to be and would it be costly?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 11 days ago.

I don't quite understand the question. Surely you already have a hot water vessel of some kind. Are you thinking of retaining that and changing the heat source from boiler to ASHP? What is your plan?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Changing to ASHP but still want to retain cooker.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 6 days ago.

If the cooker heats a tank now, then the size of the tank would be the same as the one you have now, or bigger. Or have I still not understood your question?

The cost can vary widely. If you're installing this system yourself, then you'll need to shop around with your list of parameters and see what's available. If you're using an installer, then take their advice on the product that suits your needs. You haven't told me anything about your hot water usage, or your intentions with storing energy from the ASHP.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The cooker does feed a tank now but the installers of the air source are not sure how to incorporate the 2 systems?