KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I have a Hotpoint gas oven, model number SC11GW, which has

Customer Question

HI,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a Hotpoint gas oven, model number SC11GW, which has had light use since buying it new some years ago.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I find now that the oven takes 5 minutes to ignite the main burners after the pilot light comes on, and initially it gets to the temperature pre set by the control knob. But after 10 or 15 minutes it switches itself off and reverts to the pilot lights only. I thought it could be the thermostat at fault, but I believe that would be the case only if the oven failed to get to the required temperature initially.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 12 days ago.

Good morning,

Welcome to justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance. Hopefully, we will resolve this immediately. Please allow me a few minutes to check it's schematics and then type the answer.

I am afraid, I am not available for phone call and we can continue via chat.

Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 11 days ago.

Good evening,

This indicates an issue with the igniter and/or thermocouple that is faulty and will need replacement. If it was the thermostat it won't turn off after around 15 minutes. As this is a gas appliance it is recommended that repair is carried out by Gas safe engineer only. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask! I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.com today. It has been a pleasure to assist you, have a great evening.